should i wait for pascal for my next gaming laptop

cjcj11

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I am looking to purchase a Sager NP8658-S (4k display, i7-6700hq, gtx 980m), I will not be able to get it until the summer, but i need to try my hardest to get it before September before school starts again, and the funds also rely mostly on selling my laptop and desktop, if pascal gpus arent released by then would it be worth it to try to stick it out at school with a replacement laptop until these come out? and as far as it goes for mobile, should I be expecting pascal mobile gpus to be available during a very similar time frame, or what?

what scares me the most is how much of a difference in performance that is expected, as if this translates to extremely better gaming performance, im afraid that the current gen gpus may only drop a very slight amount and the newer chips end up costing an arm and a leg and it ends up not being worth it to wait where i wouldnt be able to get any more performance for the money.

what do you guys think? from what i was able to collect online, the release date seems to vary between each source a decent amount.

ledhead11

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

I would totally wait. I have an MSI GT80 Titan SLI 253 QE (2 x 980m's in SLI) and while it completely rocks 1080p gaming it slows down quite a bit at 4k when I tried it via the display ports to my 4k monitor. 980m's compare much more closely to a desktop 965-970 except for the memory. Mine also has the 5700hq, 32gb 2133mhz, 4 m.2 ssd's in raid 0. If all that can't fully hold 60fps @ 4k than I can guarantee that sager won't either.

cjcj11

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

yeah i mean, the only games id be playing 4k in would be cs:go, starcraft 2, and then maybe something like league, other than that, id really want the 4k display for productivity purposes and more real estate, and just the flat out flexibility of resolutions, id be perfectly fine playing graphically demanding games at 1080p (maybe even 1440p? i hear that 1440p on a 4k monitor does look more blurry than on a 1440p monitor but it still looks better than 1080) they already look pretty damn good as is, but it seems like i cant really go wrong with upgrading to the 4k monitor for only 125 bucks, even to just have it disabled, I know the pixels are there if i need it, but it seems like the 980m should be fine for those games, but it would be nice to see a mobile pascal chip where it would be safe to say 4k can be ran on less demanding games and hopefully use less power than the 980m, as it seems like they are expecting. im sorry if this response seems jumbled and doesnt make sense, its late lol, and i'm tired.