Should I wait until August?

xeNiumw0w

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
In short,
AMD and Intel have been on the price war for ages. Ryzen slashed the price in half, leaving the recent Intel processor unappetizing. I understand it is a PC processor. However, will this affect the Laptop industry?

I am using a 2014 Alienware 17, it's bulky, heavy, and the battery is a joke. Basically, it is unreliable for my needs. I need long battery hour laptop, mobile, presentable yet powerful for office and gaming use.

I am able to wait until August, however, should I wait until August to get a better deal?
May you recommend me a Laptop or a Laptop that most likely will be released in August with better deal?

Solution

captaincharisma

Distinguished
since you have an alienware laptop i am assuming you would be trying to get another gaming laptop. if that is the case i don't think you'll see mucyh difference in prices when it comes to those kind of laptops. gaming laptops are always going to be bulky and because of the high end components they put in them it will be hard to find one with decent battery life

xeNiumw0w

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I am not really into gaming laptop anymore (It was pricey and only gave me head ache on the first 2 months, literally, my Alienware laptop had problem when I thought a pricey laptop should not have) especially after a guy in Youtube said he used Alienware laptop in a meeting, and they be like "Are you serious?".

I am looking for a laptop which is presentable (for presentation purpose) and capable to utilize gpu-demanding software (e.g Surface Book). I am looking somewhere in the middle. PC is out of the question.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

if intel does lower its prices i doubt will not affect the price of a surface pro. also keep in mind AMD is releasing desktop CPU's first so only prices for desktop CPU's and desktop computers will see any price drop. there is nothing i have seen yet about AMD releasing anything for laptops so you may not hear anything until the end of this year or until 2018

xeNiumw0w

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

In your personal opinion, do I need to buy a Windows laptop or Apple instead? I do not really play games, personally, I only play DotA 2 at the moment. Mostly, I willuse my laptop for presentation.

Sorry to bother you.

captaincharisma

Distinguished

macbooks are overpriced and have weak graphics. if you looking to get a good deal on a laptop you will not find one with a macbook

Solution