Show & Tell Glove Translates Sign Language Into Text Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

freggo 01/01/2012 11:48 PM
Hide
-0+

Trying hard to figure out a use for this.

trying hard? you must be lobotomized!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
It's fun to see things like this, but imagine using it in public and looking like a major derp making signs at your phone.

Also it looks 30 times slower when comparing to just using your fingers.

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
At first I was like, "This is the best invention of the century!"

But then I was like, "Wait...this is f***ing useless."

G

This is excellent so cool. Imagine the possibilities!!!! Now a deaf person can talk to a blind person: first the signs are translated into text and then text is either read aloud with TTS or directly fed to the blind persons braile device. GOT TO LOVE TECHNOLOGY

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
[citation][nom]danjimaru[/nom]This is excellent so cool. Imagine the possibilities!!!! Now a deaf person can talk to a blind person: first the signs are translated into text and then text is either read aloud with TTS or directly fed to the blind persons braile device. GOT TO LOVE TECHNOLOGY[/citation]
Yeah, but one letter at a time? You have to think that having the deaf person just type his stuff in would be much faster.

G

If it can memorize 27 signs after a brief learning period it would just take 50x longer for it to build an ideogram vocabulary. 1000 kanjis, that's about the basic japanese native's vocabulary base. People that are used to ideograms such as in signs languages will always find it hard to 'fall back' to a limited language, that is represented by single letters on a keyboard. Gesture here could thus be a multitude faster than any keyboard input

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Very Cool!

My wife is hearing imapired and a certified American Sing Language instructor. She thought it was cool too. American Sign Language is interesting because in addition to individual letters a sign or gesture can represent an entire word, phrase, or concept. If the technology can recognize a phrase or concept, then it might be faster for someone who is limited to hunt and peck typing. If it is limited to recognizing only individual letters, then it may not be as useful.

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
they are entering 1 letter every 2 seconds. Gonna need more refining before anyone would use this. Also If a person is mute, they can still use their thumbs to type, so whats the point of this?

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]danjimaru[/nom]This is excellent so cool. Imagine the possibilities!!!! Now a deaf person can talk to a blind person: first the signs are translated into text and then text is either read aloud with TTS or directly fed to the blind persons braile device. GOT TO LOVE TECHNOLOGY[/citation]
[citation][nom]kjsfnkwl[/nom]Yeah, but one letter at a time? You have to think that having the deaf person just type his stuff in would be much faster.[/citation]

Both of you have to be high on something.....
Why can't the Deaf guy just call the blind guy up and shout the hell out of him....
2 of you put together can make a sequel for "Hear No Evil , See No Evil" of the 80's....

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I don't know why people are putting this down???? No, it's not practical to use in public, but it's a very valuable training tool. I can't see it being used in schools and if the cost is low enough, practice at home. For people with family members who are deaf or lose their hearing, it's a great training aid.

Also, just like in elementary school in typing class, you can make sign language games for android which aid in the learning process.

Man, people are so closed minded to change and innovation.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Trying hard to figure out a use for this.[/citation]
No he's right if you can't hear you can still type you have a hand.. Why would anyone need to text using sign language. I guess if you are blind too. So deaf and blind might be only use. Even then you could get an app where you just make letters using the whole screen there are apps that do that already... This would be excellent as a training tool for those who wish to learn to sign.. They should make a training app to go along with.

Status
Not open for further replies.