Shutting down and flashing lights

Kanojo Ro

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite L745D laptop, it's nearing 6 or 7 years now and it has been working fine utill a couple months ago. It would never charge properly, and I had to buy two batteries for it; the first one didn't last a week, and the second doesn't last long for my laptop: 20 minutes the least. I've been using it with out the battery just fine but now it always shuts itself down unexpectedly, and when I try it with the battery it starts up to the Windows Screen then shuts itself down again with the power and battery LED lights blinking orange. And when trying to charge it, it does the same after a couple of seconds.

I tried repairs, cleaning, uninstalling files that take up space, and making sure that it doesn't overheat. Nothing is working. I need to know what else I can do before I just decide to get a new one.

Solution
I am going to guess here based on the fact that the replacement batteries keep failing that you got the cheap Chinese copies and not a real Toshiba or Japanese made battery. That's the reason that the batteries fail.

Issue now is that it shuts down without the battery installed which means the motherboard is likely the issue, or the power circuitry. You can try a different charger, try removing the battery and with the system unplugged hold in the power button for 30 seconds see if that does anything for you. Outside of that, you may be looking at a replacement motherboard which for a over 6 year old laptop is not worth doing.
Hi,

Have you also tried reapplying a new thermal compound to the CPU and graphics card? You might also want to consider doing that as well. If this still doesn't work, run a test with the motherboard as well by putting the laptop in BIOS and see if it will shut down by itself again because if it does it might be faulty already. Lastly try turning it on without the HDD since it could cause this problem as well.

I am going to guess here based on the fact that the replacement batteries keep failing that you got the cheap Chinese copies and not a real Toshiba or Japanese made battery. That's the reason that the batteries fail.

Issue now is that it shuts down without the battery installed which means the motherboard is likely the issue, or the power circuitry. You can try a different charger, try removing the battery and with the system unplugged hold in the power button for 30 seconds see if that does anything for you. Outside of that, you may be looking at a replacement motherboard which for a over 6 year old laptop is not worth doing.

Solution