Sigma 18mm - 50mm f/2.8

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Sigma makes a constant aperture 18-50/2.8 in Canon's EF-S mount.
28-70 seems to be a popular zoom category for film; this would give
a similar field of view for cameras with 1.6 crop factors. I have
not heard a lot about it here, nor on photo.net, nor anywhere else.
At $500, and with the "EX" designation, it ought not to be junk,
at least.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3285&navigator=6

I found a review, which is somewhat lightweight, but does give some
useful information, such as the fact that the lens lacks HSM
(Sigma's equivalent to Canon's USM).

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/sigma1850ex/index.php

This might well be the walking-around lens I've been dreaming of.
Does anyone here have any experience with it? Have you seen any
informative reviews that you could point me to?

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
--Josh Micah Marshall
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Here's what photozone.de has to say about it. The "slow" AF speed
could be a show-stopper for me.

Performance WIDE (wide open) Ok (**)
Performance WIDE (stopped down) very good (****-)
Performance LONG (wide open) good (***)
Performance LONG (stopped down) very good (****)
Distortions WIDE heavy distortions (**)
Distortions LONG little distortions (****)
Vignetting WIDE heavy (**)
Vignetting LONG little vignetting (w/o) (****)
Color Balance warm
Flare some flare (***-)
Optical Verdict (max. 5 pts) average (2.92)
AF Speed slow (**)
Build Quality good (***+)
Number of Inputs 25

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
--Josh Micah Marshall
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Ben Rosengart wrote:

> Here's what photozone.de has to say about it. The "slow" AF speed
> could be a show-stopper for me.

The poor wideopen at the wide angle would eb the show stopper for me.

Photozone inputs are from various sources, many of whom overrate their
new purchase emotionally. Having said that the ratings below are not
very good at all.

This prob'y doesn't apply to your case, however AF speed can be a funny
one: some Minolta lenses reported on photozone as "slow af" on older
bodies but are known to be wicked quick on the Maxxum 9, 7 and 7D.
(Minolta AF motors are in the camera body, not the lens like most other
brands).

Cheers,
Alan.


>
> Performance WIDE (wide open) Ok (**)
> Performance WIDE (stopped down) very good (****-)
> Performance LONG (wide open) good (***)
> Performance LONG (stopped down) very good (****)
> Distortions WIDE heavy distortions (**)
> Distortions LONG little distortions (****)
> Vignetting WIDE heavy (**)
> Vignetting LONG little vignetting (w/o) (****)
> Color Balance warm
> Flare some flare (***-)
> Optical Verdict (max. 5 pts) average (2.92)
> AF Speed slow (**)
> Build Quality good (***+)
> Number of Inputs 25
>


--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:02:31 -0500, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
> This prob'y doesn't apply to your case, however AF speed can be a funny
> one: some Minolta lenses reported on photozone as "slow af" on older
> bodies but are known to be wicked quick on the Maxxum 9, 7 and 7D.

Indeed not, since there are only three cameras this lens will work
on, and two of them are less than a year old. :)

> (Minolta AF motors are in the camera body, not the lens like most other
> brands).

Mm, even less likely here then.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
--Josh Micah Marshall
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
news:slrnd4drm5.7fk.br@panix5.panix.com...
> Sigma makes a constant aperture 18-50/2.8 in Canon's EF-S mount.

Actually it's a standard EF mount, though it is designed for the 1.6x crop
sensors (DG designation) so I assume it will likely suffer vignetting on a
larger sensor.

Mark
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:06:44 -0500, Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> "Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:slrnd4drm5.7fk.br@panix5.panix.com...
>> Sigma makes a constant aperture 18-50/2.8 in Canon's EF-S mount.
>
> Actually it's a standard EF mount, though it is designed for the 1.6x crop
> sensors (DG designation) so I assume it will likely suffer vignetting on a
> larger sensor.

Oh. I misunderstood the meaning of "DG". Thanks.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
--Josh Micah Marshall
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Digital Cameras 2
H Digital Cameras 1
X Digital Cameras 3
D Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
P Digital Cameras 1
H Digital Cameras 1
B Digital Cameras 2
F Digital Cameras 6
H Digital Cameras 3
H Digital Cameras 13
C Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 4
A Digital Cameras 1
L Digital Cameras 1
G Digital Cameras 4
G Digital Cameras 4
G Digital Cameras 8
G Digital Cameras 2
J Digital Cameras 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY