Silver (metallic) tape DV6000 wireless, Purpose?

hair_energizer

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
I recently reflowed the graphic chip on my HP DV6000. While assembling it back together I noticed that right below the keyboard the two cables for the wireless system are soldered together and wrapped by a silver metal tape. This tape is now worn out and doesn't stick anymore. Originally it was connected to the alloy cage under the keyboard. Do I need to reestablish a conductive connection here, or can I just use normal isolating tape to wrap the point where the cables are open and soldered together?

Solution

It could just be this kind of tape:
http://www.tedpella.com/technote_html/114-1,%20114-12%20TN.pdf

This is conductive on the outside not the inside.

But one could argue that both solutions could cause less signal.

Test and one will see.

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
its aluminium tape i have never seen it under the keyboard its usualy behind the lcd screen in most laptops and it usualy is not on a conductive surface.
dont wrap anything up just place it under the keyboard and secure it with tape.
if you wrap it up you might experience lower signal strenth.

Laurensschu

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Here is the manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02659236.pdf

It seems to say, that the antenna's are only in the screen, so it shouldn't use the keyboard as antenna, which some manufacturers do. Guess it was non conductive polyester with aluminium backing tape. So isolation would probably do the trick.

Since there are different opinions here; you might want to see if it is conductive or not. If not wrap it, if it is don't and do as Johnn93 said.

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
there glue on the otherside thats why its not conductive if the leads are not dmadged just thread them as they where no need for tape.i thought the end of the leads where under the keyboard.fit the cables so that the keyboard can sit without cable being jamed under it.

Laurensschu

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

It could just be this kind of tape:
http://www.tedpella.com/technote_html/114-1,%20114-12%20TN.pdf

This is conductive on the outside not the inside.

But one could argue that both solutions could cause less signal.

Test and one will see.

Solution

hair_energizer

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

Exactly this is the strange thing I stumbled on! The leads are interrupted at that point and black and grey are soldered together! It's an open soldered area that could touch either the mainboard (ok there's a thin foil on it) or the keyboard or other metal parts around it. Sorry for being a little bit confused. I just don't wanna open it again. So better isolating this soldered area?

Nilpo

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to contribute the real reason that the metallic tape is used. It is used for RF shielding to meet FCC regulations for RF emissions. Leaving it out won't necessarily hurt your device performance, but it may interfere with nearby devices.