SimCity Sold 2 Million Since Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I don't really mind the online model. I do mind the fact that they couldn't get their servers up to meet demand and that they lost one of my cities. If they implement it right, though, I'm okay with the online requirement.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
^^^^^^^^ PC gamers usually have the best experience, better graphics, more customisation, better online community, etc. Shouldn't you be playing crappy 600p £44.99 console games instead on posting on here?

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
@velocityg4
That might be a bit of a stretch. They may have sold more, but 3 million more? Not so sure about that. Don't overestimate the true size of the vocal online haters.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
I read the forums and saw the bug complaints and decided not to buy. I check the forum every month or so and so far the tone hasn't changed. Sad. I wanted to buy a new HD looking sim game.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
@bumnut53

well....
"better graphics" - perhaps, but at the cost of spending many more hundreds on graphics cards every couple of years

"more customization" - yes...but also more trouble shooting, driver updating, etc that many would rather not deal with

"better online community" - I don't know about that one. Depends what you're looking for. Xbox Live, for example is a streamlined central system with achievements and universal chat and friends lists. Steam aside, PC online stuff tends to be a bit more fragmented and localized to particular games. But of course, they have the modding communities and such for some games. Like I said, depends what you're looking for.

"crappy 600p 44.99 console games" - well...in a few months, consoles will be playing much better than that...as for the price, games tend to be more expensive on consoles, but as I said above, PC gamers tend to more than make up the difference many times over in hardware costs.

Judging by the market, consoles seem to be more popular now.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
You know EA, you could patch this game to make it offline. Then you would have 2,000,001 sold copies because I would buy.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
It's still full with bugs. I have to abandon many times my cities because of these bugs. EA knows about this but they didn't come with any patch for months. Likely I didn't have to buy it. It came with an AMD cpu, probably that's why the high number of copies sold. I wouldn't spend even £10 for it.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
/sigh triple post... As a tech site, I am unsure why it is so difficult for Tom's resolve the plethora of web errors that plague this site...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So in other words - Another 1.99 mil that will vote for EA as the worlds worst company for the zillionth time. I know i will after what the SimCity launch did, NOTHING in the game at lunch required the cloud... yet you were forced to use the seriously underpowered one EA "provided". Really poor done EA!

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I will buy it when it hits the $20 price point. Too many fond memories as a youngster of Sim City and especially Sim City 2000 to not at least fire it up. All the work to get a city of arcologies just to tear it down, such fun.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@IAmVortigaunt

a 600$ pc from about 5 years ago still massively outperforms the consoles, no maintenance costs at all.

and in all honesty, when the next consoles come out, all it may just require is a 200$ upgrade to be able to play those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.