Simulate 2.1 Using 2.0 + 1?

smithron99

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi, For the longest time I've been using a pair of Creative I-trigue speakers paired with an old IBM subwoofer I got from a friend of mine. For the price it was a pretty satisfying combo. The I-trigues had a subwoofer out, so it was a straightforward 2.1 system. Recently the I-trigues are on the fritz. I've bought a pair of Fostex RM 0.3 monitors, which are fabulous. I'm wondering if there's a way I can wire in the sub to simulate a 2.1 system. The Fostex have no sub out. I have a Gigabyte GA-z77x-UD3H mobo with a via VT2021 chip and 5.1 outputs. Running Win 7. I've plugged the sub into the subwoofer out, configured the sound for 5.1. I've de-selected the centre and rear speakers in the surround config, and enabled both "Speaker Fill" and "Channel Phantoming". L and R speakers work fine. I can generate test tones on the sub, but I can't seem to generate any signal to it through music or movies. Any thoughts?

Solution
just run your system on 2.0 stereo and put a splitter in the line from the pc. one side to speakers one side to subwoofer. adjust the subwoofers lowpass to where you want it to be. if it doesnt have an adjustment knob you can always use a lowpass filter to clear any of the higher frequencies out.
just run your system on 2.0 stereo and put a splitter in the line from the pc. one side to speakers one side to subwoofer. adjust the subwoofers lowpass to where you want it to be. if it doesnt have an adjustment knob you can always use a lowpass filter to clear any of the higher frequencies out.

Solution