Since Freesmith download - weirdness

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Hi, i'm still on XP, since i'm still on an older system. Ever since i downloaded Freesmith yesterday (because Media player isn't functional anymore), here's what happened.

Everytime I open my NewMoon browser upon turning on computer - a Down-Arrow pop-up displays (as if something is downloading).

Also, when I try playing MP4 streaming audio's from a website, it doesn't play, even though it displays "Open with freesmith.mp4 (default)".
Instead of playing the audio, a large Down-Arrow displays, as if something is downloading.

(However, note that Freesmith does play songs.
....just not from within NewMoon or Firefox.

When I ran both Avira, and MBAM MalwareBytesAntiMalware-Premium-Trial, neither of them found any malware. Anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Likely that FreeSmith is doing things in the background; e.g., "phoning home", trying to update, looking to serve ads, etc..

Try using Task Manager to observe what your system is doing both without and then with FreeSmith running.

Check FreeSmith for configuration settings including defaults.

Remove FreeSmith from startup. Determine if the "weirdness" ends.

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008

Is there a way to upload a screenshot of my startup files for you to clarify which might be the culprit?

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
As per the instructions in your referenced thread, I don't see a photo with a tree among the above icons?

Rather just Bold, italic, crossout, underline, Link (which requires an URL be typed in), Picture (which requires an URL be typed in), Email, Action-Script-dropdown, Quote, Bullet-List, Numeric List, List Item, SpellCheck, ColorWheel, Smileys, Video