Sis m760gx windows 7 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

amosryce

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Just upgraded Acer 5000 series laptop from XP to Windows 7 -- looking for an update for the SIS M760GX video drivers. A Vista update would likely work just as well. Updated drivers should include SiS VGA Drivers, AGP Drivers and VGA Utilities. Only such package I've been able to locate lists only SIS 67x series as supported chipsets, not sure it would work for the MX760GX. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

amosryce

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for your speedy response, WR2, which was spot on. I found that same SIS page after posting my question and will be trying the 2010 UniVGA3 release in the next day or 2. If it doesn't work I'll step down to the 2008 version. I'll let you know the outcome for either event. Thanks again!

I hope you read this before you give that UniVGA3 a try because I'm certain it won't work for Windows 7.
If there had been a Vista driver I would have suggested giving it a try.

What you can try and see if Windows 7 can find one for you. It's a last stab at a tricky situation but it's worked for some.
How To: Update Vista/Windows 7 Drivers Instantly

Another trick that has worked for some is to find another MFGR that has used the MX760GX chipset but has gone ahead and created (written) it's own drivers for Win7 or Vista.
Example: Your trying to find a SiS MX760GX driver for Acer 5000 series but neither Acer or SiS created a Win7 driver. But Asus who also used the SiS MX760GX chipset went ahead and wrote it's own Win7 driver. I couldn't find any sign that any MFGR had actually done that, but I didn't do an in-depth search. And its also a bit more dangerous if Asus hardware wasn't identical to the Acer hardware.

amosryce

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Yeah, I saw that neither release is supported by Vista or Windows 7, but I've had success with other non-supported drivers by installing them through Device Manager rather than with the Windows Installer, which is what I was going to try in this case. That's the method I used to get the original SIS drivers (that I'm now trying to update) installed in Windows 7. I figure it's a least worth a try; I'll just roll back if they don't work. The originals don't give me an more functionality than the generic VGA drivers that Windows 7 installed. As before, I'll let you know the outcome, and thanks for your suggestions.

amosryce

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Well, WR2, as you suspected the SIS driver update didn't work. The system reported installing it successfully but programs using video wouldn't function properly. I rolled back to the 2005 drivers and will continue looking for a solution, starting with your suggestion re searching for other mfgrs who might use the M760GX chipset who might have written drivers for Vista or Windows 7. I had already tried your suggestion about letting Windows 7 find the proper drivers with no luck; it reported the latest drivers were installed with both the generic VGA and the 2005 SIS drivers. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this quest and thanks again for taking the time to offer your help.

amosryce

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
WR2, as promised, here's the (final?) outcome with the SiS drivers. After rolling back to the 2005 drivers from Acer's site but continuing to have problems with video with Microsoft sites and apps (notably, Windows Live Messenger), I eventually realized the problem wasn't the SiS drivers but rather a corrupted Flash Player that prevented the Flash Plug-in from installing/working. This realization came only after rolling back to the standard VGA adapter, mistakenly thinking the SiS drivers weren't providing any additional functionality than the std. VGA adapter. Wrong, since the latter doesn't even support sleep and hibernation! So, the upshot is that I went back to SiS drivers, but the 2008 release this time (UniVGA3, ver. 3.84), which so far seems to be functioning perfectly well with Windows 7. As I mentioned before, importantly, the drivers were installed through Device Manager rather than with the Windows Installer. Also noted before was problems with the 2010 UniVGA3 release -- your original suggestion -- but I can vouch for the 2008 release and the 2005 release from Acer, with the caveat that Device Manager must be used to update the driver. Thanks again for your input.

G

I install windows 8,i have acer aspire 3000 with sis m760GX,the driver generic that microsoft include on windows 8 is not bad but itry to intall the drivers original and the drivers for the vga cant be installed because the monitor says that dont is plug and play,in xp it was plug and play,i dont understand.But the good notice for people that has sis m760gx and other drivers like this is that the AGP(acelerated grafics port) can be intalled!!!.Use the package from sis,i have a acer aspire 3000 and i download the package from the page of drivers of ACER.
Open the package and in the folder "AGPPack" select setup,righ click,properties,compability,marck win xp and apply,close and run this setup and will install the AGP drivers.
If anybody can install the VGA please say how do this.
I hope this help a lot a people and i hope one programmer of microsoft,acer or sis give us a good driver for the hardware.

danload2012

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
The Solution to get the Sis 740GX or 7x0GX to work with windows 7:

Even though the latest officially support OS for this graphic chipset is "Windows XP", you can get it to work with windows 7 by tricking windows 7.

Basically you need to "corrupt" the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter by replacing the vgaagp.sys file, then rebooting so it shows with an exclamation mark in the device manager, then you can point to the WINDOWS XP Driver.. if you you need the link to the drive click here..

If you need some steps here is what worked for me:

First download the driver from the link above (windows xp sis m760gx driver)
and extract to desktop!

1: run command prompt as administrator
2: go to <c:\windows\system32\drivers> directory
3: type: takeown /f vgapnp.sys
4: type: cacls vgapnp.sys /G <username>:F
5: Click YES
6: open the windows\system32\drivers directory and rename vgapnp.sys to oldvgapnp.sys
7: copy the the sisgrp.sys from the WinXP_2K directory of the extracted driver on the desktop to the \windows\system32\drivers directory
8: now that the sisgrp.sys driver is copied to \windows\system32\drivers rename it to vgapnp.sys
9: Reboot!
10: now go to device manager and "Standard Vga Graphics Adapter" will have an exclamation mark
11: right click and choose update and Browse to the WinXP_2K folder from the extracted sis m760gx driver
12: windows 7 will now grab the proper driver
13: Reboot when asked

Now you can have native resolution supported and better performance for win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.