Solved! Shoehorning Win 10pro onto an older Dell 1510

May 18, 2021
Ok, so I've got an older 2006-07 Dell Inspiron 1510 that I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro (64bit) onto. I only have a Pro disk available and it has to be 10 unfortunately. The system already has a 500gb drive installed and formatted (blank/partitioned) and 2gb of memory, but I've ordered a 4gb kit of Scamazon to get that upgraded.

Background/Reasoning.

I'm an off-grid dweller and have a very large solar array. I need to monitor power production and consumption via an RS-485 port on the charge controller, unfortunately the Chinese/Engrish software is ONLY compatible with Windows 10, so XP, 7, Vista, et al won't fly.

I have this 1510 laying around and I've downloaded all the latest drivers for it from Dell (all XP) to try and force the Win10 install to use the older drivers, but so far no joy. It hangs looking for a 'media device driver' and won't go any further. I've tried going to the INF driver for the ATI card and SM controller, as well as the built in sound card. As soon as I get a chance, I'll take some pics and post them up (since I can't screenshot from the install).

For you guys that have managed to get Win10 onto a 1510, what did you run into and how did you get around it? Most of the install threads I've read so far seem to be Win10 Home, but nothing regarding Win10 Pro 64bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

WMF

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If Home will run on it, so will Pro. From where did you get the install media from? Are you using a recent, or older version of Win 10?

The XP drivers are not likely to work. Generic Windows drivers should work for most items. You could try going into the BIOS to disable any non-essential devices (like sound). You also make sure your IDE mode is set to AHCI (if available) or IDE (slow but would work), but not RAID.

May 18, 2021
If Home will run on it, so will Pro. From where did you get the install media from? Are you using a recent, or older version of Win 10?

The XP drivers are not likely to work. Generic Windows drivers should work for most items. You could try going into the BIOS to disable any non-essential devices (like sound). You also make sure your IDE mode is set to AHCI (if available) or IDE (slow but would work), but not RAID.

Yeah some of the older threads were using Vista/XP drivers to override the 10 ones. Lemme give that a shot and report back.

May 18, 2021

COLGeek, there are no settable options for the IDE controller in the latest BIOS revision. There's also no option to disable the onboard sound.

I did disable everything that was abosulutely non essential and I'm hitting the same issue.

May 18, 2021
Understood. From where did you get the install media from? Are you using a recent, or older version of Win 10?

Disk and Key came from Kinguin about 4yrs ago. It has a built in 14.4k modem (lul) I pulled out to just now to eliminate one possible driver need.

ETA: Pulling the modem didn't help.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021
Those old rigs could be rather touchy with bootable USB drives. Burning an ISO to DVD might be your best choice.

Yeah if I boot off a malware repair disk I see the USB stick fine, it just won't boot from it. Now I gotta find a burnable DVD out here in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes: