Skyfire Brought Flash Video to iOS, Then Pulled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]You see, Apple. People DO need flash.[/citation]
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I'd prefer a phone with battery life rather than a phone with flash.

But at the same time, I don't see why Apple couldn't at least give users the option when they originally released their iPhone. Whatever. Some companies' policies will never make sense to me.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I'd prefer a phone with battery life rather than a phone with flash.But at the same time, I don't see why Apple couldn't at least give users the option when they originally released their iPhone. Whatever. Some companies' policies will never make sense to me.[/citation]

as if the capability to use flash somehow degrades battery life?

its just another case of apple assuming everyone stupid, and making decisions on their behalf.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
One would hope Apple learns from this. This serves as a stark message that iOS users want flash based content, perhaps the iOS devs will consider this.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]as if the capability to use flash somehow degrades battery life?its just another case of apple assuming everyone stupid, and making decisions on their behalf.[/citation]
It does degrade battery life. Granted, it may not degrade battery life as much Jobs claims, but using Flash while browsing the web will definitely suck up more battery life than browsing the web without it.

This isn't to say that HTML5-specific features don't degrade battery life, as I'm sure it does. But the problem with Flash is that there are MANY websites out there that run Flash advertisements, and those advertisements eventually take their toll on battery life. To me, running a browser without Flash is almost synonymous with running a browser with AdBlock installed.
So I personally would rather have a phone without Flash installed, as it will save my battery life, and also reduce the amount of unwanted data transfered that racks up my data plan.

But as I've said before, I think the option to run Flash should at least be there, rather than Apple's method of pretending that Flash is the spawn of the devil for mobile devices.

G

It's obvious that att cannot handle the additional load on their data network (they are already overloaded in major metros across the country, and dont even have 3g in most places)

iPhone should be on Verizon soon and then watch Steve Jobs change his tune and welcome flash.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Lol, only 5 hours and there was a server overload. But as long as Almighty Jobs says flash isnt important, he is right(according to him and his slaves). 5 hours...wow

G

LOL flash mainly degrades apple's ability to sell you shows on itunes.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
As reported many times over previous weeks it is more to do with games and app slaes that apple doesnt want you to have flash. There are stacks of sites out there right now with thousands of free flash games etc. SO if you have flash on the iphone then no need to pay for games anymore. Well that i unless you want the big titles.
Personally i think they are being childish and control freaks!!
I think these companies need to grow up and allow the hardware to be utilised to its potential.

pacapaca

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]as if the capability to use flash somehow degrades battery life?its just another case of apple assuming everyone stupid, and making decisions on their behalf.[/citation]

Actually, because flash is so prevalent in annoying ads throughout the web, it can have a significant effect on battery life because of the extra CPU overhead.

That said, I've always disagreed with Apple's stance on flash (not that it matters as I would never buy an Apple product), considering how much of the web uses it. It should be an option for the end user whether or not to install it, and if it were supported I'm sure there would be a whole slew of flash blocker apps released to help with the battery life issue. But such blasphemy! Everyone know Lord Jobs' walled-garden approach is the best for consumers...

Effect of flash on the Macbook's battery life:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/11/lack-of-flash-gives-macbook-air-two-extra-hours-of-battery-life/#

G

The title of this article really ought to be changed; the "Then Pulled" bit implies that Apple was the one who pulled it, given their history with Flash (and their history of yanking apps for silly reasons).

Not trying to be an Apple zealot or anything, I just think the title is a bit misleading.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Next crapple buys skyfire and immediately shuts down the company due to a lack of demand for such a product. Writes it off in next year's taxes.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]pacapaca[/nom]Actually, because flash is so prevalent in annoying ads throughout the web, it can have a significant effect on battery life because of the extra CPU overhead.[/citation]

Not really. The solution to that is simple and is the method Palm is using for Flash in webOS 2.0. Instead of loading the flash on pages you just put a placeholder and let the user decide what they want to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.