Skype Audio Conundrum

Sykesie

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
So I have an interesting one. I can't hear anyone I call on Skype, including echo; but, when I go to test the audio of my speakers they work. Every other aspect of Skype works, I can receive calls and the sound works (not voice just the ring)

My speakers work in every other instance, I just can't hear the people I call on Skype. All my audio drivers are up to date, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Oh also, they can hear me when in the call

Update: I am running Windows 10, I just did a fresh install after installing a new motherboard (ASUS Strix B350-F) and processor (Ryzen 7 1800x). Skype worked fine before the fresh install.

Skype version: 12.9.604.0

Solution
presuming your using windows 10 the Realtek Audio driver is the second one down in the list
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

miggtt699

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Check if skype is using the proper audio output device by navigating to options and Audio preferences.

You should find a drop down menu in output devices, test them out individually until you can get an audio output during a call or by using the little test button next to it.

Sykesie

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015

So I've done this and I have two options: Default device and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definitoon Audio Device). The test audio only works when I have default device selected, so I naturally select the default device, still nothing. I have also tried a call with the other Hi-def audio device also nothing

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
presuming your using windows 10 the Realtek Audio driver is the second one down in the list
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Solution

Sykesie

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015

Thanks for that, I completely ruled out a driver issue because it was isolated to Skype. It worked though