Status
Not open for further replies.

ninen2001

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi! I have had problems with my Skype for a while. I couldn't uninstall it so I had to find the files and remove it manually. Now that I have done that, I can't install it. My main disk is D and I always have like 12mb free space on my C disk. Basiclly, I start the installer and select language and installation directory and click on install. When it's gone like 10 seconds it says that the disk is full. And also, the temporary folder is at D:\Temp and there is alot of temp files there so I know that it is the temporary folder on my computer. Almost every file of Skype should be put in D but it still says that I'm out of space. My D disk has 16gb free space right now. I really need help quick!

Your hard drive needs more then 12MB of space. Your drive if full. What sort of PC is this? Please download SPECCY and run it, then copy and paste the first tab.

Basically unless you can unload all these files to a external hard drive (ever heard of a thumb drive???) your computer is screwed up and would have to be reinstalled all over. Also while you have 16GB on D that has nothing to do with Windows, and your applications and literally is choking to death. 16GB is nothing these days and is a high sign your drives are filled (how small are they!!!????).

I haven't heard of systems doing this for like 10 or more years ago since most people can't fill a 500GB drive much less the standard 1TB drive now in computers.

ninen2001

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Well. So you're telling me that I have to buy a new Windows 7 and a new hard drive? My dad installed my Windows and put most of the space on the D drive. And also, all my other programs work fine. Steam, Reaper, Sony Vegas, Google Chrome all of that. Exept for Skype.

Let me put it another way, if you had a clothes drawer filled with clothes and you tried to add more clothes to it, what happens, they fall out of the drawer, computers things don't "fall out" they break the computer instead.

If you have a licensed copy of Windows then reinstalling on a new drive is easy, and a 1TB drive is less then $70. Secondly you can use Windows Easy Transfer for your data to a ext HDD ($70 1TB Ext drive Walmart), wipe your drive then reinstall windows, drivers apps and restore the data to the new drive.

Your Dad's logic was flawed for modern computers. Back in the day the logic was put the OS on C Drive as a small partition, then use the D drive for all your data and programs so if Windows 'breaks' you just reinstall to C no fuss. That was XP and older OSes, not Vista/7/8 which don't "install everything" to the D drive, there is stuff they have to install to C and as happened to you eventually fill up the small C drive.

Normal way to make a computer setup is just 1 large HDD, so the 'Windows drive' doesn't fill up and you have this and all sorts of other issues.

ninen2001

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I can't actually reinstall Windows and I haven't even activated it. I made a thread about it before but the Windows I have is OEM so I need to buy a new Windows 7. Also I'm only 12 so I can't exactly buy a new Windows and a hard drive in a while. Going to Stockholm soon so most of the monet will be wasted there on band shirts and albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.