Skype Multitasks on iPhone; Voice Plans Useless

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is no skype on android is there? I looked awhile ago but I couldnt download it for my phone(Galaxy S) think skype is locked to Verizon? even though im in UK...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Because they are restrictive piles that charge for every little dime they can.'

Heaven forbid a company should try to make money.

'Because their hardware sucks and has problems, and instead of just admitting it and fixing the problem. They say everyone that has the problem is a moron and holds their phone wrong.'

Firstly, you're talking about one hardware problem which is so minor in actual use that less than 0.5% of users have returned their phone because of is. Secondly, they have offered free cases to correct the issue and admitted it needs a solution. Thirdly, when you hold the phone normally the issue doesn't happen, so they have a point when saying you aren't holding it right.

'Because they have became big enough that they think they can dictate what the consumer can and cant have.'

Er, what? They can dictate what THEY OFFER, yes, just like every other company in the world. They don't stop people buying other products.

'Because they lie about their products.'

They haven't lied about their products.

'And the number one reason I hate them. Because they wanted to charge me 20bucks to turn on bluetooth via software. F-u it had the hardware in it when I bought it. Why didnt the hardware JUST WORK.'

Sounds like a ridiculous reason to have such an illogical hatred for one of the most successful phone companies in the world.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom](as much as i support android and the open market, the android store is no where near the app store in terms of quantity or quality of games)[/citation]
How exactly do you support Android again?

chesterman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Because they are restrictive piles that charge for every little dime they can. Because their hardware sucks and has problems...[/citation]

just don't buy it :)

js1882

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I like how when apple does something other phones have been doing for the last 5 years it's a big headline. Wow now icrap can copy and paste! Wow icrap can multitask! Wow icrap can use skype! Big f*n deal. I have been doing all of this on my phone forever

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Once everyone downgrades their Voice Plans, Data plans will sky rocket.[/citation]
Once everyone starts flooding the "data" service, they'll raise the rates and cut the caps.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
With half second and even up to second ping time on 3G, the phone talk is not very good. And I am sure ATT will do everything it can to keep it this way if Skype talk become a threat for ATT plans.

hellswaters

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Sounds like a ridiculous reason to have such an illogical hatred for one of the most successful phone companies in the world.

Well, issue with that statement, Apple is NOT a phone company. They are a technology company which also builds smart phones. If you look at a list of the products which apple has built since its invention (ignoring the Newton), its was only 'recently' (late 90's, early 2000's) that they steeped away from computers, and have started to build other (overpriced) products.

So, no, they are not a phone company. And if it was not for the app store (prime example of nickle and dimeing (granted android does this as well)). However with apple, you need to jailbreak the phone, which voids the warranty to be able to bypass the app store. As far as I am aware about android, you can do this with the phone as it is. (I could be wrong, as I do not have a smartphone)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]So you can just buy a iPad or Touch, get the unlimited data plan and use skype for calling on it?[/citation]

that is if at&t had an unlimited plan anymore :p

G

WOW! You can do something on the iPhone that I've been doing on my smartphone for over 2 years! Wow! This is GREAT news! Very NEWSWORTHY...

OMG people, seriously, it seems ANYTHING to do with the iPhone is somehow news, even when it's a feature that's YEARS old on other phones.

Pathetic.

failboat

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
If, I lived in a place with clear wimax(4g): The only internet I needed be that for $40 a month, and I could run circles around 3g.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Heaven forbid a company should try to make money.'[/citation]
There's trying to make money and then there's ripping people off..

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Firstly, you're talking about one hardware problem which is so minor in actual use that less than 0.5% of users have returned their phone because of is. Secondly, they have offered free cases to correct the issue and admitted it needs a solution. Thirdly, when you hold the phone normally the issue doesn't happen, so they have a point when saying you aren't holding it right.'[/citation]
Rubbish, if I have to actually think about how I hold my phone then something is wrong.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I have no problem with my 3G iPhone. People just complain too much. I'll never buy a Mac, but the iPhone is still the sleakest smartphone out there. Doesn't mean my next one will be an iPhone, but it very well could be. Though I'm leaning to the droid 2 if I had to purchase right now. All the kids trolling toms need to grow up

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Firstly, you're talking about one hardware problem which is so minor in actual use that less than 0.5% of users have returned their phone because of is. Secondly, they have offered free cases to correct the issue and admitted it needs a solution. Thirdly, when you hold the phone normally the issue doesn't happen, so they have a point when saying you aren't holding it right

It does happen when you hold the phone normally, particularly if you are left handed

Status
Not open for further replies.