Skype Multitasks on iPhone; Voice Plans Useless

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
300 hours? is that claimed or actually tested? My Desire supposedly has up to 340 hours of standby but good luck getting that :)
I have no complaints with interface speeds on android at all to be honest, and as I usually try to stick with wifi connections no problems there either. There are apps for footy scores, not tried any though to be honest because I have no interest in football :) fotmob being one I've seen mentioned.

No you didnt actually say that, apologies, but it does read like that.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Yeah, sorry - the 300 hours is claimed, lol :p So I guess the actual may be lower..

Still, it's meant to be quite good.

I think with the football is not so much the scores that I want, there is an App for the IPhone which lets you actually watch the live football (or any Sky TV channel), on your phone - that's kind of selling it for me, at the moment.. So I could be on the train and watching the World Cup. I think the desire is a good phone though, and the number of apps is definitely increasing. I think everybody else is catching up with the Apple store.

You've all been very helpful, which is a pleasant surprise. Every time I've brought up the IPhone in the past I've been inundated with haters, lol.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I think this is resolved by the IPhone - it can last for 300 hours on Standby (over 12 days). Also, if you're carrying around a spare battery, you could just as easily carry a charger for the IPhone (with inbuilt battery). Both require you to purchase additional hardware so I guess it's the same.

Could be, but i sometimes forget to check how much battery i have left before i set out only to find i only have one bar left, and my battery is pretty small so it can fit in my wallet with no problems

I don't know about TextPlus but i went through a number of java based internet SMS services to find one that sends texts that show up as normal texts (from my number) on other peoples phones, ended up using fishtext (which i think now has an iphone version available)

I'm not sure if syncing music onto a network would work or not as it would have to be broadcast as a radio signal, i have a FM transmitter in my car as the n82 doesn't have one built in but i always thought it would be cool to have it built in, that way it would be like having your own radio station in your pocket every where you go, you could even play a prank by going into some retail store and tune their radio into your frequency then play some heavy metal over their radio all while having your phone in your pocket.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'you could even play a prank by going into some retail store and tune their radio into your frequency then play some heavy metal over their radio all while having your phone in your pocket.'

LOL.

Oh wow, I didn't realise that. So it can be tuned in on any radio in the vicinity? I assumed it needed some special technology on the radio side to work (like bluetooth or something). I guess that would be pretty useful then, especially in the car.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Oh wow, I didn't realise that. So it can be tuned in on any radio in the vicinity? I assumed it needed some special technology on the radio side to work (like bluetooth or something). I guess that would be pretty useful then, especially in the car.

Yea most of them have a range you can choose from, maybe between 76.0 to 108.0 MHz then you just need to tune any radio to that same frequency, don't think i would have enough balls to try that prank out though

G

One big problem here ... You can't receive Skype calls with your iPhone/iTouch/PocketPC/... in standby mode. It may run in the background while your device OS is *running*, but if your device OS is sleeping (as cell phones mostly are other than extremely low power interrupts possibly from BT, SMS, and incoming cell calls) you won't get an incoming call on Skype. You could ask someone to SMS you which would wake the phone up and then they could call your Skype #, but it's all a bit of a kludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.