Skype Uses DMCA To Remove Reverse-Engineered Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Free to download, and for the most part, between skype users yes. But it may not always stay that way, and with an open source alternative it may force skype to stay 'free'.

Also there are other reasons for it, he may want to help people understand how a program like this works, so they can get jobs at skype.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Since MS bought it some people want to reverse engineer it and essentially "remake" it. There are specific rules allowed to clean room reverse engineer things, obviously these guys aren't following those rules.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Exactly, what the hell were they thinking? Is it so hard to get hosted elsewhere? Preferably in a country which does not bend over to U.S (which severely limits the possibilities but still...).

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]But it may not always stay that way, and with an open source alternative it may force skype to stay 'free'.[/citation]
Skype will remain free because if it doesn't it will lose a good number of users (not paying customers though, unless market share drops enough to make Skype subscriptions pointless). It's one thing to build an exceptional application and charge a fee for it from the start, but to start charging when it has been free for years will not please users. There are alternatives available, although most are probably not yet as polished and will need some corporate backing to improve them.

An open source implementation of the full Skype protocol would destroy Skype's current freemium business model. Implementing enough only to send text messages to other Skype clients isn't really a threat as this is not Skype's primary purpose (plus the IM scene is saturated with other clients). I guess Microsoft/Skype are taking the initiative and trying to kill this off before he makes progress on something useful.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Ummmm...isn't skype FREE in the first place....?????[/citation]

Skype is FREE, but it's closed-source. Free != open source.

I usually support open source software, but in this case the blogger needs to STFU and do something else... there's a ton of open source communication software out there and there's no need to mess with Skype. I'll always prefer the official client, anyway.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]Free to download, and for the most part, between skype users yes. But it may not always stay that way, and with an open source alternative it may force skype to stay 'free'.Also there are other reasons for it, he may want to help people understand how a program like this works, so they can get jobs at skype.[/citation]
Charging for general skype use would be about as dumb as AOL charging for AIM (Perhaps the only good AOL product they ever made). The idea is to make a rich eco-system which can be a big selling point for MS products. Skype could be added to Outlook, or tied only to PW7/8, or at least charge competing phones an arm and a leg to have skype available for their mobile devices. In short there are lots of ways to make good money by keeping it free to the public.

My only hope is that they would make the silly program easier to close. I hate that it wants to be on all the time!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Charging for general skype use would be about as dumb as AOL charging for AIM (Perhaps the only good AOL product they ever made).[/citation]

AOL didn't make ICQ. They bought it from Mirabilis some time late in the last millenia (or the beginning of this, don't remember exactly)

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
also, if you allow reverse engineering the skype protocol, can you not also send malware, spam and related junk through it, just like what happend with ICQ , AIM, etc? not allowing outside access to the protocol is a good thing to me. I really dont want other people to be able to do that, it causes an application to become even more un-secure.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
also, if you allow reverse engineering the skype protocol, can you not also send malware, spam and related junk through it, just like what happend with ICQ , AIM, etc? not allowing outside access to the protocol is a good thing to me. I really dont want other people to be able to do that, it causes an application to become even more un-secure.

As if I can't do that with a closed source protocol.
Seriously, this does not make any large difference whether something is open or not.
If you think that not allowing outside access to protocols is dangerous then immediatelly stop using the internet. It's TCP-IP libraries/standards are essentially open!
(This is actually a good thing.)

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
And change the headline to:

Microsoft Uses DMCA To Remove Reverse-Engineered Code

Because skype here is a division of Microsoft and actually has nothing to say.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
OK. to clear it up for you. yes everyone should be able to drive on the street - (internet) but not necessarily in my neighborhood (gated community) and especially not in my driveway (more limited ) and only a very few are allowed in my garage (restricted)
same for protocol. my car may go all those places, but that does not mean I want YOUR car all those places..

[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]As if I can't do that with a closed source protocol.Seriously, this does not make any large difference whether something is open or not.If you think that not allowing outside access to protocols is dangerous then immediatelly stop using the internet. It's TCP-IP libraries/standards are essentially open!(This is actually a good thing.)[/citation]

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Why reverse engineer a free, widely available product? It just seems some people are hell bent on eliminating MS as much as possible - why not spend your time and resources elsewhere.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Reverse engineering of software is protected under fair use for research purposes.

eg: There could be no such thing as the Samba project if this lawsuit has any merit other than for MS lawyers to justify themselves.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Why reverse engineer a free, widely available product? It just seems some people are hell bent on eliminating MS as much as possible - why not spend your time and resources elsewhere.[/citation]

You realize that it is the reverse engineering of the original IBM bios in the exact same manner, and for the exact same purpose that, created the entire PC industry as it is now, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.