Sling TV Online Video Review: Cable TV for Cord Cutters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_312

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Why has this article just been rehashed and posted as new? It's obviously not an updated review and a few things no longer apply. Such as they now have a plan that gives you 3 devices to use at a time, more channels, and FOX/NBC on demand access. If you are gonna post something with an updated date we need an updated and current accurate review of the service, not one that no longer applies and is over a year old.

Daniel_312

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Why has this article just been rehashed and posted as new? It's obviously not an updated review and a few things no longer apply. Such as they now have a plan that gives you 3 devices to use at a time, more channels, and FOX/NBC on demand access. If you are gonna post something with an updated date we need an updated and current accurate review of the service, not one that no longer applies and is over a year old.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
just subscribed to playstation vue last week myself. for $30 you get a lot more channels and the $35 package gives you 5 streams. so far no issues with buffering or freezing and i am very impressed. only thing is you don't get a true channel guide on roku devices. so you have to get used to skimming the channel icons for what's on right now. the online cloud based dvr is the icing on the cake for the service.

i'd suggest looking into that service if you are looking to cord cut. paired with the 33 over the air channels i get (pretty good for free over the air) with a digital antenna and there is still more to watch than there is time for. :)

Daniel_312

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016

They both have advantages/disadvantages. Playstation Vue has DVR and the base $30 plan is quite good and has some channels that Sling lacks. However, Vue lacks the A&E network family of channels which is a biggie for me and Vue has access to fewer devices that you can use the service on. Plus Sling TV has Paid VOD access to premium movies which is pretty nice. Overall I think both services are even it just depends on what you need. Both were lacking for me though and I'm currently staying with DirecTV but in the future I will look back at these type of TV services once they improve and mature a bit more.

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Tom, I've been a fan of yours up until now that is-- Your Not fully disclosing who Sling Tv is and who they belong to when you say cutting the chord. DISH TV IS THE PARENT COMPANY OF SLING TV SO WHEN PEOPLE DECIDE TO LEAVE THE MONEY HUNGRY BASTARDS THAT DISH TV IS AND GET SLING TV YOUR ACTUALLY STILL SUPPORTING DISH TV--How is that cutting the chord at all. Come on Tom if you truly want to cut the chord from DishTV and DirectTV then do some serious research before you leave that way when you leave your not stI'll supporting the bastards you just left. I found a lot of IPTV Hidden channels on my Roku and I don't pay Dish or Direct a Damn thing. Stop telling people about SlingTV when you know that they belong to DishTV

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
When you leave DishTV and decided to cut the chord your not actually cutting the chord when you get SlingTV because Sling Tv belongs to DishTV don't get fooled by thinking that you've actually gotten rid I'd Dish TV--Do a little homework before you buy into this crap--Because their not worth the 20.00 a month

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Dish TV owns SlingTV so your not actually cutting the chord your only trading one for the other--Check before you you sign up to some stupid company their bandwidth sucks and they know this and won't fix it because you've actually left their mother ship to go to streaming. Do some homework before signing up to another company--Roku has some great IPTV HIDDEN channels that you should look into before going with these crooks

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
For those leaving Dish TV and coming to SlingTV your still a customer of DishTV---SlingTV belongs to DishTV. Don't be fooled into thinking you've cut tell chord when your still paying DishTV

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Dont continue getting ripped off by Dishtv---Sling tv belongs to DishTV--Look it up people. When you think your cutting the chord your still paying DishTV. Do your homework before signing up to anyone--I pay 20.99 a month and I get 300 channel's plus 2000 recently released movies plus adult channels--Now I don't get local channels but I have ano HDTV ANTENNA that picks up all my local channels for free. And I pay 20.99 a month for all my channel Roku has some great IPTV HIDDEN channels that you should look into before going with SlingTV

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Stop getting ripped off by Dishtv--DishTV owns SlingTV--Roku has some great hidden IPTV CHANNELS that I only pay 20.99 and I get all the basic and premium channels along with 2000 recently released movies plus adult channels as well stop getting ripped off for a few channels that barely come in and they don't care if they come in or not because you left the mother ship for Sling tv---Try Wowtv-live or Machtv plus instead

Scott_106

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Sling tv sucks butt try Roku's hidden channels Wowtv-live or Machtv plus 300 channels including all the premium channels 2000 recently released movies and adult channels for 20.99 a month---no local channels but I have an HDTV ANTENNA that picks up all my local channels

dgt02

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I tried Sling TV and they started charging me for things from an XBOX I don't have and wouldn't credit the account. I had to cancel/replace the credit card to stop these con artists.

dgt02

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Rip off! I tried Sling TV and they started charging me for things from an XBOX I don't have and wouldn't credit the account. I had to cancel/replace the credit card to stop these con artists.

minelli

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
They get this good guy/tough guy/ image Mexican actor to get on TV and online to tell us not to let Cable take advantage of us...But lets not forget he was hired to pull in the Hispanic community who most will agree with anything a Hispanic celebrity says because they trust them...Basically he is saying, "Stop letting the big bad cable company over charge you...But what he does not say is that it is a cable company that signs his paycheck to say that named, Direct TV....Now, the commercial is really saying, "don't let cable []you come let us []you instead!" Excuse the language but I don't beat around the bush!!! Sure the prices sound good. I got it and let it go fast when I researched and found out this actor is a liar, He give people the impression he is on our side and is out to have out backs so get away from cable" As if he was introducing something new. This is not new it's been around for a while under a different name and he wants to make these folks believe he is bringing something new that won't take advantage like the cable companies, as if just for us...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

SlingSucks

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Sling is a major disappointment. Unless you have a cable subscription you can't watch most channels i.e. AMC or FX so you're paying to watch regular tv and sit through commercials.

If you try the 7 days free, cancel way before or they'll screw you for the entire month of crappy service. (I was deployed to Hurricane Matthew and had more important things on my mind then lousy SlingTV.) After canceling literally a few hours late, I had no clue I stuck paying for a month of service. Customer service is not understanding or willing make any accommodations. Sling is a waste and not worth all the hype.

_User1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Man I'm hoping Tom gets the ambition to see what's available freebie. What I'm wanting to do is get a satellite dish and mount it so it can scan and save spots that are favorable. I guess I'm one that likes to explore. :-/

Gruffff

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
I purchased the Service primarily for MSNBC. It was only available on the expanded package 25$ + an add on of 5$... fine for 30$ I got the channel... BUT ITS COMPLETELY UNWATCHABLE DUE TO THE POUNDING DRUMTRACK DURING THE ENTIRE COMERCIAL BRAKE. I'm assuming sling tv has reticular political bias to make it so difficult for demicrats to watch.
Possibly a trump invested company?

Mark_303

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
The mobile app for sling is garbage, but for 25.00 we get Basketball on Tnt twice a week. Sci-fi channel [ we watch killjoys, dark matter ] NFL network means we get to watch an occasional game
though the NFL blows these days. The kids like watching Nickeledon . With the Blue package now you can do three streams and thats the main reason we stick with Blue instead of Orange.
We only have 10 mb internet which is the fastest we can get in our neighborhood in Pocatello . Idaho UNLESS you get cable and thats bout 100.00 a mo because you have to buy the upgraded package . We encounter buffs about once a show and visual degradation. We know its Sling because we have Netflix and Amazon prime and they don't. 35.00 a month isnt bad for Home entertainment.

Gruffff

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.