Slow internet speeds on Netbook..

Arctinen

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I'm having some difficulty with wireless connections on my Virgin Media super hub.

Firstly, I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop using ethernet - 30mb down, 5ms ping etc everything is dandy.

My girlfriends netbook however (Windows 7 Starter) and my ThinkPad (Xubuntu 11.04) are running unbearably slow using the wireless connection. I've tried everything I know to fix the issue including:

- Ensure that the option to let windows decide to take performance from the NIC is off
- Tried a few wireless channels
- Change from 2.4GHz to 5GHz (Desperation)
- Set windows to different power modes
- update drivers
- It's a brand new netbook (Advent Zuni), turned windows firewall off - run AV, just in case.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

:(

Arctinen

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Using cmd to ping google is at 800+ ms. Speedtests are at 0.15/20mb.

We have been testing around the house, connections away from the hub are 10-20mb.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not SpeedTest.net, that tells you how fast your system connects to a remote system and is not a measure of your internal connection/network. How fast are you connecting to your router? Also, when using SpeedTest, did you try different server locations?

Pinging is not necessarily a good measure either. BTW, what wireless adapters are you using and are the drivers up to date?