Slow laptop - how to improve performance and keep it fast

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I have been asked multiple times by a relative to help improve their HP ProBook 4520s' overall performance. They complain that general internet browsing becomes very slow, sometimes stopping all together. Their typical browsing habits are nothing out of the ordinary; things such as checking email, online shopping, those obnoxious flash games on Facebook, etc.

In the past I have tried to help speed things up overall but things always tend to get slow again after a few days. I performed the basic steps in what normally does to improve performance: deleting temp/cache/cookies, running anti-virus and anti-malware scans (its picked up a good amount of this whenever I scan), disk cleanup and fragmentation, uninstalling and disabling programs that are unneeded (this person keeps unwittingly installing advertising programs that make browsing unpleasant), installing add-ons such as adblock plus, and making sure all plug-ins are up to date, just to name a few. I have even gone so far as to install an addition 2 GB of RAM.

What else can I do to help improve the overall speed for this computer and make sure its stays that way for longer then a few days? basic specs are below

HP ProBook 4520s
Windows 7 32-bit
Intel i3 2.53 GHz CPU
4GB RAM

Solution

Yes Bitdefender is better. I was using MSE like you until last week.

Archaic59

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
1. Firefox browser - Just use it. It's great.
2. CCleaner - Great way to flush your pc's toilet after web browsing.
3. Bitdefender - A good A/V and malware solution with a VERY small system impact.

-The single best hardware upgrade you could make is an SSD.
-FYI, Facebook tracks you after you leave Facebook. They suck.
- You can't add any more ram with 32 bit OS. 4 gb is max.
- remove programs from startup that aren't needed. You don't need crap like adobe update starting every time you boot the laptop. Look for progs like that and remove them. CCleaner has a feature to do just that.

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Already using CCleaner and Firefox. I have Microsoft Security essentials as the anti-virus program. Is Bit Defender better?

Archaic59

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Yes Bitdefender is better. I was using MSE like you until last week.

Solution