Solved! Smart TV Connection Using Cable Modem

Nov 16, 2018
I want to hook up a Samsung smart tv without using a wireless router. I've got cable internet four feet from the tv. Can I use a cable modem for my internet connection and then use an ethernet cable directly to the tv? Or will the tv just keep looking for a network connection and not find it?

Solution

Yes, it will work but u can hookup one and only one device to your Internet. And be aware NAT is your firewall, so you will be operating without a firewall.
There has to be a NAT device, regardless whether you want to hook up TV wireless or wired. That NAT device is often, the WIFI router. The back of the WIFI router often has 4 LAN ports, hook up your TV there, or are u asking u want to rid of that box completely for whatever reason?

Nov 16, 2018

I don't have a router and LAN set up wired or wireless and I don't want to set one up. It just makes sense having a cable connection four feet away to use a cable modem and an ethernet cable. Just avoid the whole router/LAN thing.

Yes, it will work but u can hookup one and only one device to your Internet. And be aware NAT is your firewall, so you will be operating without a firewall.

Solution