Solved! Smart TV Connection Using Cable Modem

Nov 16, 2018
I want to hook up a Samsung smart tv without using a wireless router. I've got cable internet four feet from the tv. Can I use a cable modem for my internet connection and then use an ethernet cable directly to the tv? Or will the tv just keep looking for a network connection and not find it?

Yes, it will work but u can hookup one and only one device to your Internet. And be aware NAT is your firewall, so you will be operating without a firewall.

There has to be a NAT device, regardless whether you want to hook up TV wireless or wired. That NAT device is often, the WIFI router. The back of the WIFI router often has 4 LAN ports, hook up your TV there, or are u asking u want to rid of that box completely for whatever reason?

Nov 16, 2018

I don't have a router and LAN set up wired or wireless and I don't want to set one up. It just makes sense having a cable connection four feet away to use a cable modem and an ethernet cable. Just avoid the whole router/LAN thing.

Yes, it will work but u can hookup one and only one device to your Internet. And be aware NAT is your firewall, so you will be operating without a firewall.

MikeyrInKY

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
You can do this hookup if you choose. However, this will be the ONLY device connected to your network and you will have zero firewall protection...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
Y Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 8
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
J Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 1