Smartphone Battery Life Jumps 50% With Wi-Fi Scaling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"The technology requires smartphones to be equipped with processor-slowing software"

Ah, so Windows Mobile phones are already prepared! ;)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It's hilarious how most commenters just jump onto the comment box before reading fully what the article says. And even if they've read it fully, they try not to understand what it implies before jumping into the comment box.

What the study says is to apply the notion of processor clock scaling to WiFi; instead of operating at 2.4GHz and full 100% transmit power all the time, operate at, say, 12.5% and clock down to a 900MHz mode until it detects incoming packets.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"1) If you don't run the a/c in your car as much then you will get better gas mileage.."
I'd say it is more like if your car had an on/off switch for the A/C, but when the engine is turned off, the A/C kept running when the switch was on. IE- it is left up to the user to turn on and off the A/C. And lets say, since turning on/off wifi on most devices means going to settings, finding that setting and clicking 'off', that it is more equivalent to my scenario, but the switch is under the hood. IE, it is a slight hassle for the user.

"2) If you don't play as many songs your mp3 batteries will last longer"
Again, more like if the mp3 player continued to play music and burning through the battery, unless you explicitly turned off the music player app when you were done.

"3) If you run less and take frequent breaks you won't get as tired when exercising." This is actually a good example.

When you are exercising, your body raises its heart-rate to pump more blood around your body to get more oxygen to where it needs to be. Perhaps also pumping adrenalin around depending on the situation. When you take a break, it goes into 'low power' mode since, it would be a waste of energy to keep doing all that... So, good job on a good analogy here. Let technology imitate the good features that nature has come up with in the last billion years or so.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"1) If you don't run the a/c in your car as much then you will get better gas mileage.."I'd say it is more like if your car had an on/off switch for the A/C, but when the engine is turned off, the A/C kept running when the switch was on. IE- it is left up to the user to turn on and off the A/C. And lets say, since turning on/off wifi on most devices means going to settings, finding that setting and clicking 'off', that it is more equivalent to my scenario, but the switch is under the hood. IE, it is a slight hassle for the user."2) If you don't play as many songs your mp3 batteries will last longer"Again, more like if the mp3 player continued to play music and burning through the battery, unless you explicitly turned off the music player app when you were done."3) If you run less and take frequent breaks you won't get as tired when exercising." This is actually a good example.When you are exercising, your body raises its heart-rate to pump more blood around your body to get more oxygen to where it needs to be. Perhaps also pumping adrenalin around depending on the situation. When you take a break, it goes into 'low power' mode since, it would be a waste of energy to keep doing all that... So, good job on a good analogy here. Let technology imitate the good features that nature has come up with in the last billion years or so.[/citation]
Brilliant post...

As far as making fun of U of M... I approve (including my egghead brother who goes there ;p )

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]How about your car? Has something useful ever come from Ohio? I agree that this is another instance of when a patent would be extremely destrucive to technological advancement.[/citation]

sure if you want to talk about failure prone bland looking cars then yes Michigan makes those

Status
Not open for further replies.