Smartphones May Account for Majority of Phones by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm already upset about smartphones. Basic phones just keep getting worse and worse. I guess that trend will continue. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to pick a decent basic phone that has similar photo/video quality... I'm stuck with a basic phone that has a 3 megapixel camera. So far, i can't find anything better than this 3 year old basic phone, on my network.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
2015...will it really take that long? Seems like almost everybody has one these days. I've noticed an explosion of smartphone users in our area just in the past few months.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I feel like the majority of phones on the market are already smart phones. It is actually less convenient to get anything BUT a smartphone these days. RIM, GOOGLE, and APPLE already rule the market. I don't see any new Motorola "Razors" on the market, do i?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]BasicPhonePlease[/nom]I'm already upset about smartphones. Basic phones just keep getting worse and worse. I guess that trend will continue. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to pick a decent basic phone that has similar photo/video quality... I'm stuck with a basic phone that has a 3 megapixel camera. So far, i can't find anything better than this 3 year old basic phone, on my network.[/citation]
My brother was running a Nokia 1100 until just 2 months ago... When he found a no-contract android phone with a good flashlight, he was willing and able to upgrade... Not to mention that he went from around 10 cents a minute, 5 cents a text to unlimited texts and data with 400 minutes (that he will never use) for 25 dollars a month...

Made me jealous. If it wasn't for the fact that I actually do TALK on my phone, I would have switched too...

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I've been using the internet since 2400 baud modems (bbs'ing, not actual internet). I've got fiber optic to the premises at home, with a fast connection. I game, stream Netflix (2 simultaneous streams often) but guess what, I don't have a smartphone because I'm not going to pay for the required data plan.

Instead I'm taking trips to Hawaii and going on cruises.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Isn't the big news here is that the majority of people are willing to pay for data plans by 2015? I mean seriously, this is why I still do not have one.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom...I don't have a smartphone because I'm not going to pay for the required data plan. Instead I'm taking trips to Hawaii and going on cruises.[/citation]

Wow, where do you buy your trips and cruises? My data plan is $30, so that's $360/year - and I've never seen a cruise that cheap! (Of course, in 3 years that is a nice computer, and maybe a decent cruise in 6 - but I get far more use out of my smartphone during that time.)

----------------------------------

I do admit, I was thinking of unplugging a bit and wanted to get just a good quality basic phone. Guess what? I couldn't find one. Feature phones, music phones, blah blah blah - but as for a decent cell phone that was just that, I couldn't find one. So, yes, smartphones will take over because we have no options for basic... well, maybe a couple in the prepaid market, but I'm on a family plan and the savings for loss of features wouldn't have been that great. Oh yeah, and Verizon added 4G to my area right before the caps, so now I have an LG revolution without a data cap so I can actually watch netflix on the go without having to pay $10 or $20 per movie (or find a wifi hotspot).

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Maybe,but for me it seems a bit too expensive to go for one of those touch phones. I'm paying for landline and cable,these two cost me a fair bit.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I forgot to add that I pay for a mobile also,but I can not see myself going over the internet for long periods using a touch phone. I'd rather use a desktop pc thank you.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i hate phones. i can never tell who is on the other end even when the only 1 person uses that phone.

instead of smart phone, cant they... i dont know, make a good phone, with a great speaker and microphone? with a range so large that you could be in the middle of the desert and still get signal... because we use to have phones like that.

if i want to take a picture, i take a camera
if i want to make a call... well i bum a phone off someone because i dont have one of my own
if i want to go on the interenet, i use my computer
if i need a map, i bring one with me

none of these in an all in one are good, the optics on the cameras suck, the video/image is painful to look at most of the time.

on contract - costs over 3000 by the end for a good "smartphone"
off contract - good "smartphone" costs over 600$ (really less than 300$ but they have to mark them up so much) and if you want some space for video or misc things, an extra 200-400$ for more space.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i hate phones. i can never tell who is on the other end even when the only 1 person uses that phone.instead of smart phone, cant they... i dont know, make a good phone, with a great speaker and microphone? with a range so large that you could be in the middle of the desert and still get signal... because we use to have phones like that.if i want to take a picture, i take a cameraif i want to make a call... well i bum a phone off someone because i dont have one of my ownif i want to go on the interenet, i use my computerif i need a map, i bring one with menone of these in an all in one are good, the optics on the cameras suck, the video/image is painful to look at most of the time. on contract - costs over 3000 by the end for a good "smartphone"off contract - good "smartphone" costs over 600$ (really less than 300$ but they have to mark them up so much) and if you want some space for video or misc things, an extra 200-400$ for more space.[/citation]

I absolutely understand this sentiment. And nothing can replace the elegance and reliability of a dedicated device.

However, there are some other axioms you may want to consider:

The best camera is the one you have with you when 'the shot' happens.
If I need to make a call, in a pinch, and there is nobody else around, a mobile phone is your friend.
If I need to find out some information on the fly about something like a product I am purchasing on the go or a restaurant I happen to pass by on the fly, going home to my computer for internet isn't an option.
If my map is outdated, or my dedicated GPS is fried, or I discover I need to find directions to something unexpectedly, your best navigation is the means you have on you to navigate there...

Status
Not open for further replies.