Smells: The Next Level in Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Playing bootleg unannounced FPS game

Gary: What's that smell Bob?
Bob: I dunno, I jump over this fence and I think I step on something but I can't see my &%#!ing feet in this game.
Gary: ugh... Dude when was the last time you shower man?!
Bob: No, it's not me it's the game. I swear on your mother's life.
Gary: [1 finger salute]

The End

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
lmao!!! Yea, that would be awesome! In multiplayer, we could use our rectum as a weapon :D sending other players running away from their keyboard.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
lol, i totally predicted this would be the next evolution in gaming... this would be great in stalker... animalies and radiation and whatnot:)

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
If I really wanted to smell stuff when playing ware games, I could just not shower for several days and leave some raw hamburger meat out.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Believe it or not, this is nothing new. I read about "smell-o-vision" in games way back around 1997 in the game magazine "Tips & Tricks" (now-defunct gem of a mag). I guess everyone just sort of forgot about it and now it's back..........yay?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
The first time I read this my immediate reaction was that in most games we would not want to smell what we look at ie zombies, dead bodies, explosions and such would not be pleasant at all.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
GREAT. Just what we need! Another tool to dehumanize soldiers so that they can be unemotional killing machines. Where is the value of human life? Has America really become THIS warring of a nation? I feel sad for my kid. Maybe I should move...to a more peaceful planet.

G

Smell-o-vision and the gaming equivalent is just another way to acquire cancer sooner.

That new car smell? Yeah, it's toxic. All that shtuff they want you to smell from your "air freshener" of choice? What do you think it's made from, exactly?

Can't say I hold out any hope for video gaming smell pots to hold anything but smelly and toxic materials... especially when they will all be made you-know-where.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]verenos[/nom]Nothing like buying a game and wondering I wonder what the Orc on the cover smells like![/citation]
lolz

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
This is like the worst idea possible for any gaming rigs. Could you imagine whatever container exploding in the case and your case permanently smelled like whatever mixed items that made these smells. Remember stink bombs?

I'm sure they never experienced a blown power supply, as it melts/smokes and stinks up your case and seems to be embedded into the case itself. Even with a new power supply, there is still the off scent of a burning smell and is never quite the same.

The only way i can see this working. Is if they came up with some kind of nerve contraption that attached to your head via the controller/device, and somehow mimic'ed what that smell would smell like. But even then, who would pay for it to enjoy a game.

tehnoob

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Well I can't play Corpse Burner because my girlfriend will be here in an hour. Better grab the Wii and play Katamari Super Daisies and Gumdrops. Outside the Military and Academia this idea + millions of dollars of R&D = the smell of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.