Snowden's Secure Email Service Mysteriously Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Nasty precedent this. Government involvement in removing people's ability to communicate privately will not go over well...

Maybe it is time to fall back to good old fashioned cyphers.

G

I used that email service it was FREE btw. A safe way to communicate you never know who is a scammer. What if your love of your life or friends are in contact with you that way and they are living abroad? And all of the sudden ..

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I would hesitate to jump to conclusions. Contrary to Hollywood movies, the government doesn't make people simply disappear. I also find it suspect he doesn't simply come out and sate, "the government put pressure on me/threatened me with a lawsuit" neither of which would be illegal for him to say supposing they are true. I'm not saying he wasn't feeling pressured, but the unnecessary cloak-n-dagger shtick seems a little like overplaying your hand at this point, considering the topic.

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
@DRosencraft. If you were in the same position, you'd cave in and probably piss yourself to boot. When the gov't asks for something, you don't say no. I think you're naive and don't understand the amount of pressure just a Fed's glance in your direction can bring. And no one said the gov't makes people disappear, how about you stay on topic and maybe respond to the NSL for example.

roamingaround

Honorable
May 23, 2013
There are no unnecessary cloak-and-dagger shticks or overplaying of hands going on here; apparently you are unfamiliar with the avenues open to the federal government for enforcement of the gag order that is part of an NSL. Tread lightly if you ever get an NSL; the consquences of violating it are severe on a good day. Mr. Levison is treading pretty close to the edge with his public statement, and is to be commended for saying as much as he did.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
The crimes are only against the interests of certain very rich American people - the poor of whatever colour will not be adversely affected one way or the other by what transpired.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Im still surprised at the amount of sheep that believe our governments are anything but schemers and liars even after everything that we know. Or is the media the liars? LoL These are questions many little lambs can not get their heads round. Then suddenly they lose there heads before they even know they were always going to end up on someones plate. Work it out.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
"My fellow users, I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit,"

I don't think they threatened him anyway other than legally. Reading between the lines I would surmise that he was provided with a warrant that required him to turn over all user communications. I would say he shut down so that he wouldn't have access to said communications. I would assume they did this because Snownden is still using the service and they'd like to know about all the secrets he's about to provide the Russian's (and he will if he hasn't already).

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
@ DRosencraft - Ever heard of secret renditions? Governments kill at will. Remember Rainbow Warrior? Shoot to kill orders of the UK Government? Russian journalists bumped off? You think America acts any differently?

I doubt this had much to do with the fact that it was Snowden in particular that used it, and more that they've now got so much going on that few are going to notice a little more pressure.

I expect they've been wanting to shut down backdoor-free email services for some time, and it's easier to sneak it under the radar/have more of an excuse.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
All the government has to do is label you a terrorist, the spoon fed public will fall in line and believe them.

There goes my first amendment, they've obviously trampled on my 4th amendment, and in a few more years i'll pretty much lose my second amendment rights. So you pretty much can't do anything to stop them once the the ball starts rolling. We're headed for a dangerous path as a nation, all under the guise of safety and security.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Congress and all members of the U.S. political system are for sale. You could've easily paid your way to freedom. After all, that's the american way. Our political system is worse than the police in Mexico (Where if you get pulled over you have to pay them hundreds of dollars to not lock you up for a ew weeks).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@DRosencraft

renditions, we make people disappear that way.
we kill off people we don't like now more often than trying to take them in
due to laws passed, him talking in any way about the shutdown can be considered revealing top secret info and he would be screwed if goes into details, remember the people in government who knew the depths of how far the us has sunk, they told us from the beginning that anything we know is just scratching the surface...
and on making someone disappear.
and i don't know enough to really talk but look into Michael Hastings, given the circumstances of his accident, its hard to call it that.

Status
Not open for further replies.