So I've broken 3 laptops in less than 3 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmztor

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new one, but I really need a solid one. I always keep the interior perfect, its the outside that always breaks. I'm a student so I can only afford something around $600ish. Preferably less.

I need decent storage, programs like office, and photoshop, play yt videos, have a webcam and can play simpleish games (I play league of legends). Besides that specifics like brands, weight or resolution don't matter that much, as long as its not one of the really small ones.

Can anyone here help me find one?

Solution
this is why I always suggest having a main desktop, and then compliment with a cheap portable device like a netbook or tablet. The desktop will do all your heavy work, and act as the 'repository of stuff', while the netbook or tablet can let you be productive when you are out and about. The desktop will live an uneventful life (especially if you give it an ugly non-flash case... important to prevent dorm theft), and be your reliable machine, while tablets and netbooks only cost $2-300 to replace, which is relatively painless.

But I digress, if you need a do-all laptop that is going to be beefy enough to last, powerful enough to do serious work, and ugly enough to not get stolen, then Lenovo is the company of choice. They are great...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
this is why I always suggest having a main desktop, and then compliment with a cheap portable device like a netbook or tablet. The desktop will do all your heavy work, and act as the 'repository of stuff', while the netbook or tablet can let you be productive when you are out and about. The desktop will live an uneventful life (especially if you give it an ugly non-flash case... important to prevent dorm theft), and be your reliable machine, while tablets and netbooks only cost $2-300 to replace, which is relatively painless.

But I digress, if you need a do-all laptop that is going to be beefy enough to last, powerful enough to do serious work, and ugly enough to not get stolen, then Lenovo is the company of choice. They are great, well built, machines. And because all Lenovos and IBMs look like they were designed in 1985 they are a low risk target for people with sticky fingers.

Solution

Hazle

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
http://techiesrus.wordpress.com/lenovoibm-thinkpad/

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400s-Notebook-Review/?page=2

look at that beautiful monstrosity. wonderful isn't it? durable roll cage to lessen any physical damage and a spill resistant, responsive keyboard slowly going the way of the dodo, replaced by the chiclet keyboards. Thinkpads with build quality like these are my Klondike bar.

for $600, if you want something REALLY physically durable, a used thinkpad T520/T400 on ebay is one of your few choices. gaming however is a whole different problem. for your budget, you may be able to find a current laptop that can play LoL, but most, if not all sacrifice build quality for performance

emmztor

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I did think this would be my best choice as well, but sadly I don't have enough space in my apartment for a desktop.
My latest laptop is a lenovo ideapad 530, which I thought would be perfect for me cause it looks though. But power went out and I accidentally closed it with something inside and one of the sides of the screen pulled off. I can still use it, but the screen won't hold itself, so I need to use it against a pile of books. Do you think I'm better paying to get it fixed than buying a new one?

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011

sounds like a $100 repair to me... well, assuming that you do the labor yourself. Hinges and housings are not typically all that expensive.

emmztor

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Although I didn't get the whole natural selection thing. (english isn't my first language) I'll look into fixing it before thinking of a new one then, thanks for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.