so what can we do because i really want to play the fifa 16 or need for speed mostwanted can i change the gpu ?

Solution
It appears that these 2 GPUs use the same socket/interface so physically they will fit.

From what I can see the 8650w has a Quadro 2000m, although I did not see a 8650w with the 2gb version, only 1gb version.
There is some improvement between the two cards:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-2000M-vs-Nvidia-NVS-5100M/m7776vsm8318

This might enable you to be able to play games on low settings, possibly medium if drop to 720p.
Now with that said, physically being compatible with the slot and working with software/bios is 2 very different things.
Find out what exact GPU that person has (2gb by itself is not very helpful), and google that GPU in your computer to see if people have gotten it to work.

Anything beyond $30-40...
You gave absolutely ZERO information on what your computer system is, so how do you expect us to tell you what YOUR specific computer can and can not do?

We can assume, that because you are in the laptop section that this is in regards to a laptop, but still can only assume.
Most laptops have integrated graphics which means it is built into the CPU and there is no way to add a dedicated GPU.
Some have dedicated GPUs to give you better graphics than what is built into the CPU, not many of these are removable though
On the select few with dedicated graphics that is removable you are limited to the 2-3 different GPUs that the OEM made for that particular model family. There is no standardization in laptops like there is desktops, just because you have say a 940 GPU in zero way means a 960 chip is physically or software-wise compatible.

Ok so it is a 6 year old HP with a first gen core i7m (dual core with 4 threads), and Nvidia Quadro 5100.

So first of all this laptop was never designed to be a gaming laptop, its a professional laptop for engineering applications that can use GPU for non-gaming tasks.

You cant change an integrated GPU to a dedicated one, just think about the literal definition of the word INTEGRATED.

I have not even bothered looking for schematics because IF the dedicated GPU is even removable, there is nothing in its generation that is going to be any noticeable amount of a step-up for gaming.
As I stated the GPUs in laptops are not standardized at all. So the way HP designed the graphics chip to connect to motherboard in 2017 can be completely different from how they did it last year, and you certainly cant take a GPU from another OEM (lets say Dell) of any year and put it in your HP.

Bottom line, if you want parts upgradeability then you need a desktop.
A laptop is only for when portability outweighs all the drawbacks.

gbolahansotomi

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Okay good day everyone i spoke to someone who wants to sell his gpu in elitebook 8650w its 2gb gpu is it going to be compartible woth my elitebook 8540p and would the gpu handle a Fifa 16 or even Fifa 17??? previous i had a laptop of hp 15-d038dx i upgraded to i5 and 8gb ram and i was able to play the fifa 16 on low settings and no laggs and even the assassins creed rogue? the hp 15 had an intel hd graphics so can i quickly get a response to this... ??? Thanks

It appears that these 2 GPUs use the same socket/interface so physically they will fit.

From what I can see the 8650w has a Quadro 2000m, although I did not see a 8650w with the 2gb version, only 1gb version.
There is some improvement between the two cards:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-2000M-vs-Nvidia-NVS-5100M/m7776vsm8318

This might enable you to be able to play games on low settings, possibly medium if drop to 720p.
Now with that said, physically being compatible with the slot and working with software/bios is 2 very different things.
Find out what exact GPU that person has (2gb by itself is not very helpful), and google that GPU in your computer to see if people have gotten it to work.

Anything beyond $30-40 is not worth the cost of this endeavor, becasue you also have the increased cost/risk of opening up the laptop and removing the chips. One little mistake can turn your laptop into a paperweight.

Solution