miktassone

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Sorry, I did not realize how general this forum is. I should have been more specific in my question. The problem is with the DBX noise reduction. The tapes as recorded are totally unlistenable without the ability to reverse the effects of the NR. I don't have a DBX device and I am trying to find a way to 'decode' the NR using software.

That won't work, once you play the tapes and output them, the output will take the noise as the sound. The noise reduction happens BEFORE output to another recording device or the speakers. It would be like mixing a bunch of colors in a bowl, painting with that color, and then trying to separate the exact colors back out of the finished painting. There could be some non-consumer products that can do this (say in a forensics lab), but I don't think anything you can buy can clean up sound after the fact. You can use graphic equilizers to try to fix things though. I'm guessing the sound is just muted, boosting the levels should do the trick, although if it was recorded where the balance did not get done right (vocals are too loud, music is too soft, or some insturments are lost), that may be pretty impossible to get done.