Software Legality Questions

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hey everyone,

I am trying to get some software for free, but I want to do it legally. I have a couple questions for you guys. Is software you download from limewire legal? If not, is there any way to get software for free legally?

Specifically, I would like to know whether it would be possible to get either BitDefender Antivirus 2008, or kaspersky Anti-virus without paying for them.

Thanks alot

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Nope, there is no 'legal' way to get those without paying for them (unless someone else buys it for you). However, your chances of getting caught are slim to none. Do not use limewire. It is a crappy filesharing program that makes your computer vulnerable and the search feature sucks. Use bittorrent instead. I recommend the utorrent client. If you need extra help with "free software" send me a PM.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
+1 for a bittorrent based system.

anyway why do you need that?

use AVG free from grifsoft.

http://free.grisoft.com/
most 'IT guys' will use AVG

unless it is open source or Shareware all 'free' software is illegal. but you wont get caught.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
"unless it is open source or Shareware all 'free' software is illegal. but you wont get caught."
..What about freeware?

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
AVG is great it's free also it doesn't slow down your system. but not as good as kaspersky. but does it job pretty well than others

PlipO

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I use BitDefender 8 free Edition, it's completely legal and works great.
BitDefender 8 free Edition does not hog too much system resources and is rated among the best anti virus applications.
I find BitDefender as good if not better than Kaspersky.
If you cannot find BitDefender 8 free Edition on the usual download sites then check out http://hosted.filefront.com/EmuSpot