Software needed for new build?

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015
Software I'm using on old XP rig
- AVG Free
- CCleaner
- Spybot
- Google Chrome (I'm using because IE is to slow on old rig)

In the past, I usually go with what is most popular/downloaded on Cnet, then what is least demanding on system, and lastly ease of use. My new rig should handle anything, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Software for new 8.1 rig (Please add to list)
- Avast Free
- Google Chrome with Adblock plus
- ?
- ?
If you disagree with a recommendation, please let me know.

While my new rig can be overclocked, I will save that for another day. I assume on first boot I will go into bios and check temps?, second boot install 8.1, next boot Avast, and so on?

Solution
I think you have a solid plan of action. Get Chrome or any other browser of choice, but do keep IE tucked away somewhere, there are sites (namely business portals and Outlook Webmail) that will only run stable on IE.

For Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, etc. I would just get a copy of Hiren's on a bootable USB or DVD, and keep it somewhere handy. I get better results running malware scans on the hard drive when the primary OS isn't loaded (And therefore none of the malware is, either.)

samlarz13

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I personally love google Chrome. I think it's the most intuitive and functional browser available. A close second place would be Firefox maybe. Similar add-ons/extentions, but I prefer the UI of Chrome. I honestly can't stand IE. I feel like it's subpar for a browser. Very limited in its uses and custimization. If you plan on doing any over clocking definitely install some reliable software to monitor your hardware. Things like CPUz and MSI Afterburner are solid first picks. After your initial install of 8.1 go ahead and run your system updates and reboot. Check for updates and reboot after each time until you see that there aren't any more system updates to install. Then pick up your additional programs that you've chosen. It's a new rig! Try some new programs ;)

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
I think you have a solid plan of action. Get Chrome or any other browser of choice, but do keep IE tucked away somewhere, there are sites (namely business portals and Outlook Webmail) that will only run stable on IE.

For Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, etc. I would just get a copy of Hiren's on a bootable USB or DVD, and keep it somewhere handy. I get better results running malware scans on the hard drive when the primary OS isn't loaded (And therefore none of the malware is, either.)

Solution

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

I agree with you on google chrome. I'm not liking the new add to favorites thing they have going on, but I'm getting used to it. Still beats that slow IE. Reminds me of that Comcast commercial with the turtles. lol

Maybe IE will run fine on the new rig, but I still like chrome better.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

I will keep IE installed for sure. I've heard there are some sites that work best with it. Although I have not used it in years, I always keep it installed.

I've never heard of Hiren's. I will have to check that out. How are you "running malware scans on the hard drive when the primary OS isn't loaded". Are you doing that in safe mode?

The thing I always like about;
CCleaner - Scan and cleaning is super fast
Spybot - Scan for and delete usage tracks is real fast.

I don't really go to any sites where I catch malware/spyware. I'm more concerned with clearing browser. For instance, and maybe I'm just paranoid, but when I use a credit card I always worry the next site I go to could track that. So I clear browser, Cache, usage tracks. I do more thorough scans for spyware/malware maybe once every 2 weeks.

I don't really have expert knowledge of how everything on the web works, or how hackers work, so it causes me to be more paranoid then most people when it comes to sensitive information (Like using credit cards, using my passwords on sites (Then clearing browser/cache/usage tracks afterwards). I do not want to be an identity theft victim. Again, maybe my lack of understanding of how things work cause me to go overboard on security.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Hiren's is a collection of free utilities for computers, antivirus and antimalware, tools for uninstalling difficult programs, disk testing and other diagnostic tools. It has a bootable environment built in so you're not even having to load safemode. It can be a lifesaver if the OS got hosed and the machine won't boot normally.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

So is the software below all I need then?

Software for new 8.1 rig (Please add to list)
- Avast Free
- Google Chrome with Adblock plus
- Hiren's

How much space does Hiren's require? What size USB thumb drive? I have to run over to a Micro Center tomorrow anyways.

Is there any benefit at all to installing programs like CCleaner or Spybot? I do not have them run at startup anyways. They only run when I open them to scan. I'm all for having less software installed if it's unnecessary.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Hiren's can fit on a 1GB usb drive. It won't need to remain installed on your PC. (Tip, put drivers for your network adapter on the same drive if there are any for XP, this will let you make sure any programs have the ability to update before running.)

Having programs like CCleaner or Spybot installed means you can run a scan without restarting first. They will find nastiness if it's there.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015

Thanks for the great info.