Solaris x86 vs sparc

jedtan2002

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I'm just wondering if there is a way to install applications for solaris sparc on a solaris x86 architecture. I know there is a way to install linux applications on a solaris x86 but it is tedious. any ideas?

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Windows Rules (sorry)

i use (...I am forced) to use Solaris at University. I hate it.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Ned, I like the new sig.

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.

Ned_Flanders

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004

skaarj

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004
I don't thinks it's possible :/

It would require Sparc CPU smulation on x86 box - probably EXTREMELY slow if you tried it :(

Running the code from another operating system but the same architecture is possible with great performance - at least as running GNU/Linux code on *BSD systems. I don't use Solaris x86 because it sucks - but if you say there's a way to run GNU/Linux binaries it should work with the same speed as on BSD.

regards

Electrical engineers do it with less resistance

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I would imagine it could be done, but it's probably more tedious than running a Linux app on Solaris x86. Because the chip architecture is different, you would probably have to at minimum recompile the source code, but even that doesn't guarantee it will work. My guess is most apps will need some recoding to work correctly, so you're probably better off finding an equivalent version for Solaris x86 than trying to port it over, unless of course it's your own custom app.

The only thing that should port over without a hitch would be apps writen in Java.

Jarrett