Solid 2.1 Channel Audio for PC?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Okay been a long time since I've been active here at Tom's. My Logitech Z506 5.1 system is failing. The left channel began crackling on July 4th. Initially I thought I was picking up interference due to a big 4th of July party across the street with live music, etc. Anyhow, the crackle lasted a couple days and eventually the left channel just went silent (technically it's just extremely quiet).

I've confirmed sound settings in Windows (even went from Win 7 to Win 10). Plugged things in, unplugged, etc. Apparently Google shows me this is a common issue with the Z506 system.

Anyhow - I need to replace my system and am hoping there's some PC audiophiles who can make some suggestions.

I like bass. Doesn't have to shake the walls - but I want to hear highs, mids, and lows. Every 5.1 PC system I've ever had ultimately got converted into a 2.1 system because I never put the rear channels behind me anyhow.

Played around on NewEgg a bit and found the Logitech Z623 200W 2.1 system
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121048&cm_re=logitech_2.1-_-36-121-048-_-Product

I know PC speaker systems aren't amazing. But I want to find the best system I can without going absolutely crazy. :) Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

give thought to just purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers combined with either an amplifier or stereo receiver. big increase in sound quality though depending on what you buy you may be spending a bit more than what you were planning.

i was thinking he could use pioneer bs22's, micca mb42's, dayton b652's or similar (or if he had the budget some slightly larger and more powerful speakers) paired up with an amplifier of some type.

going with powered monitors as you said would work as well though options are a bit more limited.

given that i do not personally have a pair of them (i use more expensive speakers) i'm going off of what i've heard around the various audio-video forums, review sites and the like but i've heard that they took a dip down in quality for awhile but then worked towards fixing that and arent so bad now. of course that is 3rd-hand information - take it with a huge grain of salt.

if it were me.. i'd have a pair of new klipsch b-10's or perhaps some used icon's with a decently powerful amp or used stereo receiver for a $200 budget. [i own a 5.1 klipsch setup currently and like the sound of them]. but given the op listed a product more similar to $130ish on price i was a bit more modest on prices.

technically even the system they listed (z623) isnt a bad choice, however there are certainly better sounding pieces of equipment for the money.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I believe the issue with my current setup is the sub itself as it powers everything. I've seen several older threads elsewhere showing this to be a common issue for this Z506 system (the left channel failing).

I'm not holding to a specific budget. Though if I went the route of a stereo with individual speakers I'd have better sound on my pc than TV! Ha-ha

Ultimately let's assume I entirely replace what I have.

generally the logitech sets tend to be rather "boomy" on bass though not really "punchy" if you know the difference. overall they tend to sound overly warm and bassy. expect similar from the z623 as from the z506 except with a bit more sound quality.

i use the same speaker set for both the tv and the pc (and consoles). one of the benefits (provided you are in the same room with the same seating arrangement) of a home theater like i have is multi-inputs that i can swap at any time.

Ultimately let's assume I entirely replace what I have.

thoughts?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah my ear isn't the best anyhow. Much as the stereo in my truck has two 10" woofers. I have lots of low range but you don't get the punch when they hit. Just the rumble. Though that system needs more mid and high end now...

But I'm in two different rooms so I won't be able to use ones system both places.

well its your call really.. there are three ways you could go

2.1 pc sound system... easy to hook up, all-in-one, doesnt quite have the same quality
2.0 bookshelf system + amp... not as easy to hook up (still easy), no subwoofer, needs amp, lots of speaker choices
2.0 powered bookshelf system... easy to hook up, all-in-one, no subwoofer though, options are a little more limited

there really is no wrong way to go.

if you are set on pc speakers,

the z623 isnt terrible. the creature III and soundsticks III also have good sound quality though cannot say about bass.