SoloPower Makes Home Solar Panel Installs Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How are they attached to the roof? I don't want them flapping in the breeze or tons of little holes in the shingles. I do hope solar becomes more cost effective because it is one green technology fully support.
And I'm pretty sure the 'Hook them up to your home electrical' part of the easy 2 step process is going to be rather costly, regardless.

frye

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]CK159[/nom]And I'm pretty sure the 'Hook them up to your home electrical' part of the easy 2 step process is going to be rather costly, regardless.[/citation]

I remember seeing a small windmill in PopSci last year that you literally just plugged into the wall and it delivered power that way.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe some one who wrote this article should have called them asked for an estimate for their house, or maybe some one reading the comments should do it and post how much in the comments section.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
If this is viable, we could to this anywhere, ont he side of our house, front, back, top. Even in our gardens. Beats the crappy solar breeze-blocks we currently see.

G

Most people have NO IDEA how solar cell arrays work in a home application. They can do NOTHING but charge batteries on a trickle charge. The amount of current from solar cells is tiny. Of a home to be "solar only" it would take a HUGE amount of solar cells and then a HUGE bank of batteries. Then there must be a system to convert the DC to AC to run appliances.
The idea that you can put up some solar cells and disconnect from the electric company is a JOKE!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'm all for green energy, really. But I can hardly see myself bragging to my friends "Hey guys, with that $25 000 solar system I installed, and that will need a replacement in 20 years, I'm saving as much as $400 worth of electricity each year!"

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
actually some solar panels will pay for themselves, not only in energy saved but monetary gain from putting power into the grid, there are plenty of people in my state doign just that, granted i live in florida where we get nice long days and plenty of sunshine.

for people talking about batteries... you don't unplug from the grid, actually you run your meter backwards durring the day and take back at ngiht when there is less stress on the grid, newer smart meters you actually get paid more for putting juice in durring peak hours and taking it back durring less costly times.

Status
Not open for further replies.