[SOLVED] Laptop Thermal Throttling not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaymondSWalters

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
Good day.

Its been a while since I have been on these forums, but i'm currently having an issue with my Laptop's Thermal Throttling.

I usually game on my Desktop at home, but since I went to college I found using my laptop a convenient option for casual gaming. I, however, am plagued by Overheating issues that causes my laptop to suddenly shut down randomly when it decides it gets too hot.

Furthermore I ran a prime95 test along with Intel's ETU to try and find the problem and observed that my CPU keeps at 100% until the bitter end and only drops about 300MHz in speed even at 97C (at wich point the laptop failed on me again: [ video ] )

I have opened up my laptop several times and cleaned the whole inside thoroughly. I also borrowed my friend's laptop fan stand but it ended in the same result.

I have no idea how to make the throttling work "normally" and I am tired of not being able to perform any demanding tasks such as gaming without my laptop failing on me.

Specs: ASUS FX550J
Details: [ image ]

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Raymond

EDIT: Fixed broken video link

SOLUTION:
Turns out the problem was with Windows Power Management (Power Settings) [ image ]

Both minimum and maximum power states were set to 100% (which explains the high clock to the bitter end)

Weirdly enough 100% Max state overclocks my CPU by about 600MHZ xD, no idea why. Setting the max power to 99% completely eliminates my problem - My CPU now hardly reaches 80C

Solution
Turns out the problem was with Windows Power Management (Power Settings) [ https://imgur.com/a/NWaH2AR ]

Both minimum and maximum power states were set to 100% (which explains the high clock to the bitter end)

Weirdly enough 100% Max state overclocks my CPU by about 600MHZ xD, no idea why. Setting the max power to 99% completely eliminates my problem - My CPU now hardly reaches 80C.

Lutfij

Splendid
After cleaning up the thermal solution's vents of dust and debris, did you reapply the thermal paste before adding the cooling solution back into the chassis? You also seem to be on the latest BIOS. What sort of games do you tax the laptop with? What sort of in-game details and resolution?

RaymondSWalters

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
Turns out the problem was with Windows Power Management (Power Settings) [ https://imgur.com/a/NWaH2AR ]

Weirdly enough 100% Max state overclocks my CPU by about 600MHZ xD, no idea why. Setting the max power to 99% completely eliminates my problem - My CPU now hardly reaches 80C.

Solution

RaymondSWalters

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014

Thank you for your reply, but I somehow found the solution on my own in the Windows Power settings menu (see my reply). I cannot select my own reply as an answer though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.