Some iPhone 4 Users Think They Already Have 4G

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Edit for above:
For the non tech savy consumer:
They think since they are on a carrier a that 'offers' 4G service, they think their phone must have the capabilities.
(AT&T claims their service as 4g, and the non tech savy buy into it.)

ajvkorn

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I am a bit confused myself and I would like to think im tech savy. I always understood it as Iphone 4 had 4g capabilities, but you just had to pay more for your plan to get it. So by default, it came with 3g, but u could upgrade to 4g...So from reading all these comments it seems 4g really isn't even "4g" at all... Which saves me money in the end :p...Anyways..I wouldn't call them stupid because honestly it seems like a perfect scheme from AT&T for doing it. It's not there fault America is "dumb" enough to not do research though. So in the end, they are dumb for not doing research, but you can't blame them for listening to AT&T...confusing? I hope so

ajvkorn

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Chip as in simcard? Also would be a good point. Just like if you only had Edge speed, you need a new simcard to even access the 3g.

G

[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]dcompart,I agree on the way Apple named the 3G and then the 3GS. but I seriously doubt they were trying to fool people with the Iphone 4. It was a total redesign of the phone, not just another processor upgrade to the the 3G. Therefore a next version gets the number 4 nomenclature. The same is true when companies name software revisions. If you are paying 400-500$ for a phone you should at least read up on the specifications of what the phone can do. Don't blame Apple or any of the other phone companies, if people just come out of pocket out of stupidity.[/citation]

I agree with you about the iPhone 4 nomenclature, the iPhone 4 is not just an upgraded 3GS, like I said they have already used the number 3 and with a whole new phone they could not use any nomenclature of 3 or less, so the 4 makes sense. As far as my comment regarding the Forbidden Fruit Company confusing customers about the 4G, from this standpoint in time it does appear like Apple's 4 nomenclature does show some deception, but your comment does take home the prize, at the time of release, the 4G boom hadn't happened yet so thanks for the correction.

I also agree with you regarding consumer stupidity, but there are millions of technologically deficient people out there that make this mistake. I was just looking out for those millions of people, lol.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
lmao! haha it typical of idiot technology users like "i have an antivirus im safe" or "i have norton anti virus" then to find out that the subscription expired 2 years ago and its not enabled. hmmm i have and iphone 4 of course it has 4g lol :p

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]ajvkorn[/nom]Chip as in simcard? Also would be a good point. Just like if you only had Edge speed, you need a new simcard to even access the 3g.[/citation]

Not just the simcard, the smartphone itself needs a chipset on the physical logic board that supports the various bands of 4G.
For example, the iphone uses 2 different chipsets on their latest iPhone 4 models. One works for AT&T and GSM networks, while the other works for CDMA networks (verizon).

dlpatague

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I have the HTC Inspire 4G. Works great. Speeds are much faster then my girlfriends Verizon Motorola Droid X. Android rooting FTW.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
So in other words, there are idiots on each and every smartphone platform? What a novel idea.. Especially when the average person is basically an idiot filled to the brim with nothing much marketing jiggles and worthless he said she said statistics/info. Of course, considering most people are of average or below average intelligence... Can anyone really claim to be surprised?

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
And the conclusion: iPhone users are stupid hipsters.

It's not just the iPhone users that are stupid, but every Apple users. Their PCs are crappy and all suffer big problems from version to version, their LCDs are cracking, the premium you pay to get Apple stuff adds to the softwares you HAVE to buy cause iOS and MacOS are barehanded and you cannot do without more.

Anyone got and MacBook they could lend me to make some chairs for my table ?? No other chairs come close to look as great for the price premium.

G

we're still in 3.9G. 4G? afaik, 4G is, at best, still in alpha testing stage. still a long way to go dude.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]And the conclusion: iPhone users are stupid hipsters.[/citation]

Good job on coming up to a conclusion of established facts. /s

teddy1234

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Personally i could care less about 4g..... what good does it do since every carrier out there has taken users backward by capping the data? what about pandora? or HD videos? what about music or files on the "cloud"
there are so many things that users could do on thier phones but will not for fear of running over their data capps....
this will not just slow inovation.... it will kill it dead in it's tracks

So my question for all you blabering about whose 4g is better... what good is it when you just hit your data cap faster?
personally, ive jumped ship and will continue to boycott any carrier that tiers it's data and capps it....
BTW, once many of these carriers get you used to capped wireless data, they will also come after your land lines,,,, you forget they tried 15 years ago when dsl/cable first came out but people didnt buy the crap they sold about these hi speed services changing things and they wouldnt be able to keep up.... well they did... now they are trying it with wireless,,,, but all you guys have no backbone to stand up and tell those fat cat ceo's we wont put up with this crap.....

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]teddy1234[/nom] what good is it when you just hit your data cap faster?[/citation]

Before July 7th of this year, Verizon offered unlimited data plans and are not going to put caps on existing unlimited plans, only new plans. As long as you got your unlimited plan before that date, and don't discontinue your plan, then you are still good to go.

mikegrok

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have an iphone 3g, and if it isn't working too good, turning off 3g often resolves whatever connection problems I am having.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]wopr11[/nom]Surprises me that only 34% of the iPhone users believed they had 4G - bet if Steve tells them they do have it they will believe it and the number will jump to 99.9%[/citation]
Not 100? =)

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Higher download speed on a mobile phone means if you don't know how to operate it, it's likely you will mess up you data allowance pretty quickly, unless you have it capped or something to prevent your own abuse or in some cases, your kids going crazy to download stuff of the net. LOL.

So I think 3G is fast enough for majority, for now that is :)

asdfghjkl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]And the conclusion: iPhone users are stupid hipsters.[/citation]
The majority of Windows users think the blue "e" on their desktop is their internet and when they need to send a screenshot image, they include it in a Word file. Some don't even know what a Windows is, "PC" is their operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.