Some iPhone 4 Users Think They Already Have 4G

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfghjkl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]ballinjoey2332[/nom]This report explains why so many ppl prefer ios over android. There is so many retarded and lazy ass ppl in this world that need a simple and boring operating system to know how to work it.[/citation]
Retards can't write proper English either.

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I already own a 4G device, Samsung Nexus S 4G. I don't live in a 4G area. But I have used it in a couple areas that have 4G.

It is a little faster than the 3G I normally use, but not that much faster. Doing an actual speed test or trying to upload a huge file is the only time it becomes apparent to me. And the fact that enabling 4G on the device limits battery life to about half of normal.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Are we still lapping up validation everytime an Apple customer proves that technology isn't their biggest priority? That's why Apple is rolling in the dough: they don't aim for the tech-heads, they aim for the masses that just want something cool and simple. The previous model was the iPhone 3G, so I'm not surprised many iPhone 4 owners might think the 4 was a reference to 4G networking. Apple probably sells a lot of phones to people who find the single digit, sequential numbering system easier to follow than the Android or Blackberry models.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]blackberry bold 9900 is 4g, Torch is supposed to be 4g too in Dec.[/citation]
Er not torch but Triton in dec, Torch is already out but the torch 4g is supposed to be out july or aug

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]This is the most ridiculous logic I've seen in a LONG time and boy is that saying something. The only provider right now that has as close to the definition of 4G is Verizon. AT&T's "4G" is HSPA+ or simply 3G with more capacity that favors data over voice. The iPhone4 does not support HSPA+ and neither will the next iPhone by everything I've read. Sprint's WiMax is a dud and it looks like they will be going the LTE route soon. T-Mobile's "4G" is worse than other carrier's 3G from a few articles I've read. I love how AT&T said they had fast 4G service....sure they do....at their R&D Lab in Texas. I live in Boston but did not get an LTE device because I don't like having to carry around 1-2 extra batteries.[/citation]

Hey, easy on Tmobile. I'm getting ~10Mbps down and ~1.5 up on their '4g' which is about twice as fast as AT&T ever gave me over 3G, for $40 less a month. Hell, my Tmobile '4g' is faster than my fiance's Uverse. It may not be real 4g, but its better than the competition from my end user experience, and sadly even better than most average people get at home.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]distanted[/nom]Are we still lapping up validation everytime an Apple customer proves that technology isn't their biggest priority? That's why Apple is rolling in the dough: they don't aim for the tech-heads, they aim for the masses that just want something cool and simple. The previous model was the iPhone 3G, so I'm not surprised many iPhone 4 owners might think the 4 was a reference to 4G networking. Apple probably sells a lot of phones to people who find the single digit, sequential numbering system easier to follow than the Android or Blackberry models.[/citation]

You have a point but its only a partial one. Apple makes things so that you cant mess with it or use it in any way other than the way they dictate or they will not service it at all... if you smoke near it they wont service it. if you dont want to use at&t's crappy network and you jailbreak it you are SOL buddy. The masses are the reason that we all get stuck waiting in line for things that people dont need but because they are apple fans they will buy whatever der fuhrer tells them to. The point that you do have is about the 3g vs 4g... but mainly because apple calls its product generations 1g 2g 3g etc. Its the user that assumes the 4th generation of their phone also uses the 4th generation of the phone network. That's an issue with the advertising and marketing department NOT making it clear that their phone is a 3g or 3g+ phone even though its like the iphone 57g

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Verizon LTE isnt all that either Ive used it, no big deal in my book. Most areas dont even have 3G yet not to mention 4G lol.[/citation]

I've seen 10mbit down on LTE in both Phoenix and San Diego. Not all that? My home dsl is 1.5 down (thanks Qwest!). Also, I'm not sure what you consider 'most areas', but I can't remember the last city that I was in that didn't have 3G, maybe Morgantown, WV. There's 3G on I-10 from Tucson all the way (except for a few mile stretch, iirc) to both San Diego and LA.

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]It's not just the HTC Evo 4G or Samsung Infuse 4G that have 4G, so does the HTC Thunderbolt.[/citation]

And Droid Charge

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
no 4g for me for 2 reasons

1) cost. 10 extra per month on sprint plus i have to buy a new phone... but i might find the money if they meet...

2) there is not 4 g coverage in my area, I'm not going to pay for a service that isn't offered in my town, and why would I. bring me 4g coverage and tethering included and I'll pay the extra 10 bucks, till then no thanks ... plus with the limits on data (on sprint no charge but you do get throttled) I don't want to be at data cap in a week

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Seeing as the iPhone is magical, it actually has 4G, 5G, 6G and whatever else you might conjure up in your imagination.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
If they can't tell the difference, who cares? Those who need 4g, and have it available, will get it, and use it. Those who don't need it won't care.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
The iPhone may not have 4G, but it can get me laid and that's all that matters right? Isn't everything simply a means to an end to achieve reproductive success?

Status
Not open for further replies.