Some programs keep my computer from charging

twchaos

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
Ok so I have an MSI. The problem is power related. My charger works fine and charges the battery fine unless I open some programs for example a game. It stops charging when the program is opened and will not continue charging until I exit the program, unplug the charger from both the laptop and wall outlet and plug them both back in. At that point it begins charging normally again until I reopen one of those specific programs. Please help, very expensive laptop.

That is normal on a lot of high-end gaming laptops. When gaming, the laptop ends up using more power than the AC adapter can provide. Consequently, the laptop draws power from both the AC adapter and the battery while gaming.

In less extreme cases, while gaming the laptop ends up using all the power the AC adapter can provide. There is no extra power left over to charge the battery, so it doesn't get charged.

unplug the charger from both the laptop and wall outlet and plug them both back in. At that point it begins charging normally again until I reopen one of those specific programs.
That is not normal. Contact MSI for technical support and a possible warranty exchange.