Solved! Some questions about 4k content streaming

j.chutlashvili

Estimable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I have this situation at home:
Have 4k TV, my PC where I store collection of movies, mostly 1080p & some 4k movies and they are both in local network with cable connected. I have fiber Internet, I think it's 50Mbps speed and my problem is when I stream some 4k movies, they get paused and buffering sometimes. I use Plex & when I lowered resolution in plex settings for 4k movie it helped. My question is why I'm having this problem? Is my Internet speed not enough for 4k streaming? Info for example of that movie is 50.4 Mb/s bitrate.

Solution
Your internet speed has nothing to do with streaming from one device on your local network (LAN) to another LAN device. If both the TV and PC are on wired network, then you should be able to stream. You can watch the network utilization on the PC to see if you network is a limiting factor.

kanewolf

Judicious
Your internet speed has nothing to do with streaming from one device on your local network (LAN) to another LAN device. If both the TV and PC are on wired network, then you should be able to stream. You can watch the network utilization on the PC to see if you network is a limiting factor.

Solution