Solved! Someone Hacked my Computer

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey guys so I recently downloaded this program which my friend said was safe and it was fine to turn off firewall in order to allow it to work. So I did and then the next morning I was getting charged on my CC's and scariest thing of all last night at 1am I wake up and see someone remotely controlling my PC so I automatically hop on the computer and factory reset it I hit delete from all drives and delete everything. I am currently downloading windows 8 64-bit off a disk. Can the hacker still get into my computer after the new windows installs? I also later deleted the program but when he was on the computer I guess he redownloaded it and I saw it there again. Also what anti-virus and and other things do you guys recommend downloading to protect myself in the future..... First time experiencing this it was pretty scary. And dont worry took care of the CC problem all banks declined all payments.

Solution
If they were using your credit cards, that implies that you have your credit card # on file with retailers that you have bought stuff from in the past using your computer. Change the passwords for your account with any online retailer that you have used. Or perhaps it would be better to close the accounts, and start over. I assume your bank/credit card providers cancelled your credit cards and will issue new ones.

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Dang. Lesson learned eh? A full reinstall was the right move. Nice job. For AV I like Vipre because it's not too expensive, it's lightweight, and I've found it to be very effective (covers unsafe websites, social media protection, and files).

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Based on the limited info of what it actually was.....if it was me, I'd throw the drives away and start over to be absolutely certain.

A good, reputable 'secure erase' utility to clean the drives is certainly recommend at the least before reinstalling.

I'd also flash the BIOS on the motherboard.

AV programs can be hotly debated, but I'd suggest a paid version from a reputable well-known company.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Do you guys recommend using Darik's Boot and Nuke 2.3.0 to fully clean both drives ssd and hdd. Then just download windows 8 off a disk and put it on my ssd for OS. Would that work to, in order to be 100% sure

smashjohn

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
A format and reinstall is fine. A virus/backdoor can't reinstall itself from this state. You probably had a root kit virus that installed the backdoor. So when you cleaned the backdoor, the root kit virus just reinstalled it. A full format/reinstall removed that rootkit.

PC Tailor

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

DBAN cannot be used for SSDs. But it is arguably the best third party software for wiping HDDs.

A simple full format from windows clears most viruses out there. It's only the rare ones that will stay behind. Use DBAN if you want to be extra sure. The rarest of viruses will even get past a DBAN, but they are very very rare.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Doubt it was something too serious in terms of a heavy virus. Anothrr question is how can i find where my old windows is because when i go to my computer the ssd says there is only like 8gb left so im guessing both new and old version are there and other bs lol

USAFRet

Illustrious

You do not need nor want anything to do with your "old windows"
Everything on that drive and all the others needs to be completely wiped.

Everything.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Well i did select delete everything and when i went back on it showed there is stuff on the drives. Can someone recommend a youtube video on how to completely nothing left on either drives then ill just run windows off my disk again

USAFRet

Illustrious

Assuming you have a Windows DVD or USB to install from:

Boot from that, start the install.
When it asks 'where', select Custom
You will be presented with a list of ALL partitions.
Select each one, DELETE
Leaving one large blank space.
Use that whole space for a new partition, and let Windows create what it needs.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Oh alright because when it asked i just selected my ssd. If i delete each of them they will be like brand new right?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Doing this install, you are doing it with only the SSD connected, correct?
Disconnect ALL other drives...reconnect them later.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

No both hdd and ssd are connected

USAFRet

Illustrious

Disconnect the HDD.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Ok so disconnect all except ssd then run from dvd for OS and delete all partitions and create a new one.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Thanks I appreciate all the quick responses and help.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
If they were using your credit cards, that implies that you have your credit card # on file with retailers that you have bought stuff from in the past using your computer. Change the passwords for your account with any online retailer that you have used. Or perhaps it would be better to close the accounts, and start over. I assume your bank/credit card providers cancelled your credit cards and will issue new ones.

Solution