Son says Its PS3 Still for 'Early Adopters'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Eh. Sony made a big mistake with their "futureproof" console claims. In a year when Microsoft or Nintendo release their next-gen console, Sony isn't going to look too great in the eyes of its fans no matter what it does..

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The PS3 was a huge technology leap over the PS2 and others from that generation (Gamecube/Xbox.) The marketplace, those billions of consumers out there who buy what they WANT for whatever their reasons may be, have decided they don't necessarily want the best technology game system for the price that it was set at.

As the owner of a Wii, I'll admit it's rather cute and addicting. My young children love playing it. If and when I have a few minutes free for a game, I'm kind of stuck playing the Wii with them since I don't think I'll ever have time to play a (beautiful, for sure) drawn-out game on the PS3 that's sitting next to it. As I must be an 'early adopter' I bought the PS3 to play Bluray movies on my HDTV and that's what it gets used for 95% of the time.

At this time, the market would rather be paying $150 less than what the PS3 is selling at so they can use the extra money for a second controller and a few games for their Wii. (I don't have an Xbox360, but I'd imagine it's similar to the PS3 experience and not the Wii experience.) If you're a gamer I bet the PS3 and 360 would be a BLAST when there was time to get involved.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
"However, there are some things Sony, did not get right, at all, and these are hurting the potential of the PS3 as a platform, I think in a very serious way:

1. Noisy

The fan seems to like run on the things, and when watching a Blu-Ray movie, particularly something where everything is not blowing up all the time, the fan needs to be quieter. Think Theater PC."

I don't know about anyone else's PS3, but mine is whisper quiet. When a game is first booting up, I can hear the disc in the drive, but once it's going, I can't hear the machine running at all. On the other hand, my XBOX 360 is loud as hell! I'm on my 3rd unit and this one was quieter than the first 2 I had, but was still noisy enough to be a distraction playing games with the surround sound cranked up pretty high. Now that I've "upgraded" the firmware on it, it runs the discs at max speed to reduce load times and it's REALLY loud!!

G

Noisy!!!?

You must have a messed up PS3. I have never heard my PS3's (20GB launch model) fan. My Xbox (Jasper Pro) unit, on the other hand, is audible from the second it turns on. The PS3 has it's flaws, but noisy is not one of them. It has a giant fan that runs at low RPMs and its silence is it's strong point!

Crazy...

Dan

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
It would be funny if the PS3 hits it's stride in the 5th year and Microsoft launches their next gen console at the 5 year mark. It would utterly destroy Sony. They wouldn't be able to give the PS3's away.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
This is not hard.

Sony is to this point considered a failure. Why? It's prior success. The expectations for Sony were huge. I am an Xbox fan personally, I never dreamed that in year three MS would still have a lead over Sony. I fully expected 360 to be a decent #2 with Sony simply crushing the competition. Interestingly enough, the 360 is still a decent #2 only its the Wii which is crushing all other systems. Expectations, Sony had them while others did not.

G

Neither the XBOX360 or the WII are currently the PS3's biggest competitor!

THERE ARE 140 MILLION PS2'S ON THE MARKET TODAY(SONY SOLD 200,000 IN NOVEMBER 08' ALONE)http://www.newsday.com/technology/wire/sns-ap-tec-techbit-sony-ps2,0,3111686.story

Every month SONY leaves the PS2 on the market it cuts the possibility of selling 200,000 PS3's. The day they decide not to support the PS2 is the day their PS3 sales rival even the wii's.

When the remainder of the 100 MILLION PS1 owners and 140 MILLION PS2 owners decide to UPGRADE, the PS3 is where they're going!

Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company! They took a gamble making the original XBOX and sold a total of 24 million over 4 years before DISCONTINUING SALES!!

The XBOX360 was an attempt to rush a system to market during PS2's long 7-10 year lifespan and to try to beat the PS3 to market. Microsoft has now sold 28 million 360's over 3 years with an unheard of 16% failure rate!! (RED RING OF DEATH)

Sony is the undisputed ALL TIME KING OF CONSOLES!!

PS1- 102 mil units (11 YEAR LIFESPAN)
PS2- 140 mil units (8 YEARS AND RUNNING)
PS3- 20 mil units
TOTAL 260 million

XBOX- 24 mil units (4 YEAR LIFESPAN)
XBOX360- 28 mil units (4 YEARS AND COUNTING)
TOTAL 52 million

NES- 62 mil units (10 YEAR LIFESPAN)
SNES- 50 mil units (8 YEAR LIFESPAN)
N64- 30 mil units (6 YEAR LIFESPAN)
CUBE- 22 mil units (8 YEAR LIFESPAN)
WII - 40 mil units
TOTAL 204 million

The PS3 is selling as well as the PS2 at a comparible point in it's life cycle. Considering the PS2 had almost NO competition at the time and the PS3 has the PS2 the Wii and 360 to go against, the much more expensive PS3 is doing pretty good!!

In the next two years the PS2 gets retired and PS3's costs will have fallen into a sweet spot this is precisely when sales will explode.

Sony has withheld FULL games from titles like SOCOM, GRAND TURISMO, TWISTED METAL, FINAL FANTASY, AND SYPHON FILTER. All of these are console sellers, all are Sony exclusives!

So you go buy yourself a Wii, it's fun, my girlfriend loves it. Or grab an XBOX360 and ignore bluray all together. It doesn't matter to Sony becuse in the end, when the price is right, you'll want a PS3 too!!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]TIndytim[/nom]I find this hilarious.~20 million PS3s in 2 years is sluggish, but ~28 million 360s in 3 years is great.Double standard much?[/citation]

Good point, but I'd really like to see the game sales numbers. If, as I suspect, the majority of PS3 owners use their console mostly for Blu-Ray, then they could be pretty low.

At this point, I'm really hoping that the next xbox moves even closer to the PC gaming industry. That way xbox games will be cheaper to develop AND the games should require very little work to port to PC (or PC to xbox). Having a similar architecture makes sense because it will make the parts cheaper and the development easier. Plus you get to write one game that works with little effort on console and PC.

Lets have 3 levels of gaming: 1) child / casual console (e.g. wii), 2) mainstream gamer console (xbox), and 3) real gamer platform (PC). The xbox will basically be a cheap, easy to use mid-range gaming machine (which is exactly what consoles should be).

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
My kids told me not to buy the PS3 because of the lack of games. But all I really play is Guitar Hero and golf, and I do have a projection system that does 1080P. When my son came home from college and saw that I could now easily and with high quality stream downloaded video and all my music thru the PS3 to my projection/audio system, he said "this is the future!" The he gave me a used PSP so I could have a wireless remote and run it all with out turning on the projector. I like it.

sanityvoid

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation]Sony has withheld FULL games from titles like SOCOM, GRAND TURISMO, TWISTED METAL, FINAL FANTASY, AND SYPHON FILTER. All of these are console sellers, all are Sony exclusives! So you go buy yourself a Wii, it's fun, my girlfriend loves it. Or grab an XBOX360 and ignore bluray all together. It doesn't matter to Sony becuse in the end, when the price is right, you'll want a PS3 too!![/citation]

Actually Final Fantasy is no longer a Sony exclusive. You can read many fanboys weeping and b*tching about this fact.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Final Fantasy 13 maybe cross platform, but Final Fantasy Versus 13 is still an exclusive.

But Sony is losing quite a few long time exclusives.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Sony developed the PS3 as a Blue Ray player in order to win the format wars. They went all out and weren't about to lose the war like they did with BetaMax. That's why the PS3 hasn't sold as well, because Sony had to make sure the Blue Ray functions were equally prioritized. My friend who works in the Blue Ray rendering business says that the PS3 is still the best Blue Ray player out there because of the superior graphics chip it has (makes menus pop up faster along with other graphics).

So Sony has to keep the price of the PS3 high relative to the other consoles because it is also a Blue Ray player. They are losing a lot of money still selling PS3s but they wanted to win the format war at any cost. The PS3 can't be separated from the Blue Ray player aspect, that's why it isn't doing as well and that's why it's been a disappointment from a gaming only perspective.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Fair enough, but was the price too high? I would think that if they could have performed as well as the PS2, that would be worth more to Sony than Blu-Ray winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.