sonic benefit of a Tubed- over SS Power supply

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi, I am a newbie. I am interested in getting a Line-stage tube preamp for
teaming up with my SS amp. The Line-stage tube preamp offer 2 version
of power supply- one is SS the other is tube . I wonder would there be
any sonic advantages of tubed- over the SS power supply ? Your
explaination and opinion is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

simonleemd wrote:

> Hi, I am a newbie. I am interested in getting a Line-stage tube
> preamp for teaming up with my SS amp. The Line-stage tube preamp
> offer 2 version of power supply- one is SS the other is tube . I

Exactly which products are you investigating? I can find several products
that fit your general description.

> wonder would there be any sonic advantages of tubed- over the SS
> power supply ?

Depends on the implementation, which is why I'm asking for more specifics. .
I can see some advantage of DC power for the tube filaments, which
practically presupposes a power supply that it is at least partially solid
state.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power supply
namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here is the link
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp application.
Your opion and suggestions is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

simonleemd wrote:
> Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power
> supply namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here
> is the link http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/
>
> I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp
> application. Your option and suggestions is highly appreciated and
> thanks in advance Simon

I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But, I like
the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they didn't put a time
delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power supply does use SS rectifier
and regulator for the filament supply, which is a big advantage.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Thanks again,Mr.Krueger. Do you think the PSIt would work better than
the PS1 (on the Line2A preamp application)?

Simon
 

unitron

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
34
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<W6GdnUvlp6iJLiDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
> simonleemd wrote:
> > Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power
> > supply namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here
> > is the link http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/
> >
> > I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp
> > application. Your option and suggestions is highly appreciated and
> > thanks in advance Simon
>
> I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But, I like
> the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they didn't put a time
> delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power supply does use SS rectifier
> and regulator for the filament supply, which is a big advantage.

Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
application of B+, doesn't it?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

unitron wrote:

> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:<W6GdnUvlp6iJLiDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...

>>> I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But,
>> I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
>> didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
>> supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
>> which is a big advantage.

> Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
> off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
> application of B+, doesn't it?

More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there aren't
more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time delay on the B+.
Some of these devices even have separate transformers for the B+ which means
that a SCR on the primary side could provide the required control function.
 

unitron

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
34
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<X4ydnU8YuZCdkCLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
> unitron wrote:
>
> > "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > news:<W6GdnUvlp6iJLiDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
>
> >>> I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But,
> >> I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
> >> didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
> >> supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
> >> which is a big advantage.
>
> > Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
> > off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
> > application of B+, doesn't it?
>
> More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there aren't
> more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time delay on the B+.
> Some of these devices even have separate transformers for the B+ which means
> that a SCR on the primary side could provide the required control function.

If you've got B+ on the plate but no heater current, can the tube suffer harm?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

unitron wrote:
> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> news:<X4ydnU8YuZCdkCLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
>> unitron wrote:
>>
>>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>> news:<W6GdnUvlp6iJLiDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
>>
>>>>> I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply.
>>>>> But,
>>>> I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
>>>> didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
>>>> supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
>>>> which is a big advantage.
>>
>>> Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling
>>> electrons off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of
>>> counts as a slow application of B+, doesn't it?
>>
>> More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there
>> aren't more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time
>> delay on the B+. Some of these devices even have separate
>> transformers for the B+ which means that a SCR on the primary side
>> could provide the required control function.
>
> If you've got B+ on the plate but no heater current, can the tube
> suffer harm?

Yes.

http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBulletins/techtalk1.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Arny Krueger wrote:

>unitron wrote:
>
>
>>"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>news:<X4ydnU8YuZCdkCLdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
>>
>>
>>>unitron wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>"Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>>>>news:<W6GdnUvlp6iJLiDdRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply.
>>>>>>But,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
>>>>>didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
>>>>>supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
>>>>>which is a big advantage.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling
>>>>electrons off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of
>>>>counts as a slow application of B+, doesn't it?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there
>>>aren't more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time
>>>delay on the B+. Some of these devices even have separate
>>>transformers for the B+ which means that a SCR on the primary side
>>>could provide the required control function.
>>>
>>>
>>If you've got B+ on the plate but no heater current, can the tube
>>suffer harm?
>>
>>
>
>Yes.
>
>http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBulletins/techtalk1.html
>
>
>
Cathode stripping is completely misunderstood and misstated in that article.
A reference where the effect is at least understood and sorta well explained
is:
http://www.vaxxine.com/phil/scopes/arnoud/weyer.txt
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Audio 9
L Audio 2
C Audio 5
X Audio 4
A Audio 4
V Audio 1
S Audio 2
G Audio 1
E Audio 1
D Audio 2
Z Audio 5
VitrasSlade Audio 7
R Audio 6
I Audio 6
S Audio 1
A Audio 3
M Audio 7
Cs342 Audio 10
S Audio 5
G Audio 10

ASK THE COMMUNITY