Sonos Playbar: Premium Sound at a Premium Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integraltech

Estimable
Sep 30, 2014
You are correct that this is not a cheap sound bar. There are 2 points I want to respond to: 1. It does not need bluetooth because you can stream music from your phone or tablet directly through the app via wifi. In many ways this is a much better method. Its done within the Sonos app, so it is more simple. It has better range, and in my opinion sounds better. 2. It is not a fair to compare this with a Vizio soundbar or any other budget soundbar. The reason why is because this will last for many years. It will also gain more features via software updates. To date, I have installed about 25 of these and not a single one has failed. I have some Sonos systems that are about 7 years old and they still work fine. You cant say the same about a Vizio sound bar. Sonos does not brag about the quality but they should because they are extremely reliable and long lasting.

sonos-rocks

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
Agree with previous comment and in addition to that if you use an Android device you can stream directly from the Google Play Music app outside of the Sonos app.

bmanbaker

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
Agreed with other 2 comments. I have had my Sonos for about 3 years. I have a Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, Sub and Sound-bar. I plan on adding more regularly in time. I really, really enjoy my Sonos. When I purchased my 5th one, my wife asked me "How many of these are you going to buy?". Now, she is totally on board and enjoys them as much as I do. If you really enjoy music and TV, Sonos is the way to go. Additionally, I love to worship with this system too. God Bless!

BradMcD

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
Sonos is awesome! Up to 7 zones in my home and it's an amazing set of products. We listen to so much music at home now. The Playbar is awesome because when you turn the TV or movie off, switching it right over to your favorite music is a great way to chill. Adding the SUB to any Sonos speaker is a game changer, and stereo pairing any 2 Sonos speakers is fantastic. Keep it coming, Sonos!

LLaetsch

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
I have the playbar and two play 1's. Why am I only hearing the music from the play 1's and not the actual dialogue?

mgs1

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Though bass is excellent from their external sub woofer, I find it very disappointing that I cannot boost treble beyond the Sonos standard settings. I wish that there were a work-around for going past their software boundaries to compensate for my large room with lots of windows that causes the Sonos system to fall very short of excellent. I would not have purchased it had I know that treble/high frequencies would be very limited. Sonos says that there is nothing planned to modify this deficiency.

mgs1

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Also, since not all TVs transfer Dolby 5.1 to sound bars (Samsung for one does not on some of their high end TVs), Why doesn't Sonos place an APP on the tvs to enable Dolby 5.1 to be sent to their Playbar seamlessly?

The Playbar is an excellent product but in a room that is too big for it you may reach its limit in output. It is odd that you want more highs as most big rooms with a lot of windows have too much sound bouncing around but not a lack of highs. This can cause issues but just turning up the highs will not usually make enough of a difference. If you have blinds on the windows try leaving them partially open so that they can act as diffusers rather than reflectors.
I would like to see them do a software upgrade to make it possible to use multiple Playbars and more than one sub in the same room to expand the capabilities.
As to Sonos making apps for TVs I don't think that an app would control the hardware in the TV even if they thought is worthwhile to make a different app for each brand that would have to be rewritten each model year.

Status
Not open for further replies.