Sony Calls PSP Piracy "Sickening"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skittle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Walk into any store that sells PSP and DS games and what do you find? For example in my local target the PSP display has a measly 1 section for games while the DS has 4.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
If the PSP wasnt so easy to hack, it wouldnt of sold 50 million units.

So software sales might suffer, but they sold a lot of hardware cos of it.

Swings and Roundabouts.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Exactly like safcmanfr said.

If the PSP has good security like the PS3, they might have sold 1/5 the numbers right now. Where Sony admits or not, custom firmware is the main reason PSP is still selling right now, especially in specific regions.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]If the PSP wasnt so easy to hack, it wouldnt of sold 50 million units. So software sales might suffer, but they sold a lot of hardware cos of it. Swings and Roundabouts.[/citation]

Wouldn't HAVE sold 50 million units. Not wouldn't of. Use your head.

But on topic: It's a shame that there is a larger amount of pirating for the psp... It might have had a bigger game selection if there wasn't. Oh well, psp2, where are you?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
boohoo for big ole sony.after all the years of screwing ovwer customers you get to feel the heat and we are glad.

and anyways you really think that a pirate had any intention of buying your game > I think not.

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I don't doubt that they are some money from piracy (NDS is even easier to hack... IMHO), but how much? I don't think the numbers are that pronounced as Sony (or any other company) leads people to believe.

In the end I think Console manufacturers are not going to be able to have the lose money on hardware, make it back on software mentality. About software piracy... since the inception of comercial software (or even in the military - read spies) piracy has happened, and will continue to happen (like prostitution) no matter what measures are put into place.

What is the solution?
Is there a solution?
Not really sure...

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII for PSP costs 45 Euros = $58 in Greece, I bought it as a present for my little brother and I really think it is overpriced for a mobile console game. At least the game is good but I was secretly happy I don't own a PSP...

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
To the pirates:

You know the Robin Hood complex gets old. Robbing from the rich to give to the poor lowely software pirates. Steeling is steeling and you really make it harder for those who want to be honest.

The whole argument that you wouldn't buy the games anyway is moot. Your minds are so warped that you can't even be honest with yourselves. If you play the games now, chances are you would have purchased at least two or three of those titles. Multiply that by the number of people who pirate and you get a lot of lost revenue.

It's your fault that game makers are moving away from developing PC titles, but go ahead and stand on your soapbox against the big old corporations who actually employ thousands of American workers. It's all worth it so you can play games for free.

Get off your entitlement high-horse and try riding a moral one.

G

If I never played a hacked version on a PS2 emulator of ridgeracer, I would have never even bought ridgeracer 1 and 2 for the PSP!

Those are my favorite racing games to today, thanks to playing a hacked version at a friends house!

Whatever is truly good,needs to get payed for!
However, game manufacturers have actually brought it upon themselves, giving great box pictures,great reviews,marketing push,only show the 10% that looks best in a game.
People bought the game,and after 10 minutes got bored, and regretted buying the game!
Just like worms on the PSP. Worms was a great game on the PC, but on the PSP it's nothing more than a trimmed down,half working PSP game!
I got very disillusioned buying that game. As well as many other games I bought and barely spend 30 minutes playing.
It's almost like buying a cheesy/ crap Hollywood movie, totally regretting it in the end...

I'm glad there's things like piracy, so we can see which games truly deserve the $25-50 we pay for them!

Yes,for me personally the main reason I don't buy any games anymore, is because of crappy games Sony released on the PSP. Sure, they look good, but that's about it! They don't have that playability, or just simply are not enjoyable.

Come out with better games, Sony! My PSP has been unused for 6months out of disinterest because of your crappy games (I can't seem to find the good ones in all the hundreds of lousy games)!

G

@69camaroSS

steel·ing
1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.

I am not sure what this has to do with this story. We are discussing pirating software and you want to go off-topic and discuss welding processes. I think you should go find a different forum.

G

@69camaroSS

Face the facts:

#1. You are an idiot and should keep your mouth shut when the adults are speaking
#2. I am not ever going to purchase outrageously priced games so I will always pirate them so I cannot be used in their metrics in determining how many sales they have missed out on.
#3. If software, music, movie etc. companies are really hurting and losing money from pirating then why are the executives still receiving bonuses every year? Why do they still make millions a year for salaries? I guess they aren't hurting that much.
#4. Give all the money made from the sale of media to the people who created it not distributed it and I will gladly purchase it.
#5. They always have the option to quit. If they don't like the fact that media will always be pirated then they have the option to liquidate and move on to selling pigs or something. I don't really care.
#6. Stop your pretentious, egotistical, narcissistic whining. You are coming off as jealous because you either can’t figure out how to pirate media or you are just afraid to and wet yourself if you ever try to download something.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Piracy happens in all aspect of the media business and yet the "good" product still survive. Despite all the claims that piracy is affecting sales, there are numerous "good" titles that hit platinum and gold status.

It's not completely due to piracy that developers are moving away from developing PC titles, it's $400-600 GPU and yearly upgrades that is costly for the mainstream gamer and ultimately that affect media sales. You have to really be a computer geek to be dling from bittorrent. I know a bunch of people and only a handful of them actually know about it. Most of them never heard of it and those who have are computer geeks. And just because it's downloaded doesnt mean that the person actually played it. It's probably archived somewhere to attract other kinds of incentives (e.g. reversed engineered).

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]69camaroSS is still a tard[/nom]@69camaroSSFace the facts:#1. You are an idiot and should keep your mouth shut when the adults are speaking#2. I am not ever going to purchase outrageously priced games so I will always pirate them so I cannot be used in their metrics in determining how many sales they have missed out on.#3. If software, music, movie etc. companies are really hurting and losing money from pirating then why are the executives still receiving bonuses every year? Why do they still make millions a year for salaries? I guess they aren't hurting that much.#4. Give all the money made from the sale of media to the people who created it not distributed it and I will gladly purchase it.#5. They always have the option to quit. If they don't like the fact that media will always be pirated then they have the option to liquidate and move on to selling pigs or something. I don't really care.#6. Stop your pretentious, egotistical, narcissistic whining. You are coming off as jealous because you either can’t figure out how to pirate media or you are just afraid to and wet yourself if you ever try to download something.[/citation]

best first comment ever

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Too late to worry about hardware sales!!!

on the other side of the coin...if Sony didn't try to block users from homebrew with updates.....they may have outsold the DS....and it wouldnt matter what they charged for the PSP...

it's really TOO LATE for this now....

Sony should just concentrate on the next hand held and just SHUT UP!

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Piracy happens in all aspect of the media business and yet the "good" product still survive. Despite all the claims that piracy is affecting sales, there are numerous "good" titles that hit platinum and gold status.

It's not completely due to piracy that developers are moving away from developing PC titles, it's $400-600 GPU and yearly upgrades that is costly for the mainstream gamer and ultimately that affect media sales. You have to really be a computer geek to be dling from bittorrent. I know a bunch of people and only a handful of them actually know about it. Most of them never heard of it and those who have are computer geeks. And just because it's downloaded doesnt mean that the person actually played it. It's probably archived somewhere to attract other kinds of incentives (e.g. reversed engineered, and regions where it is not sold).

G

...the reason why their hardware sales are up is because their is always SOMETHING wrong with the system. UMD drive breaking, battery lame, SCREENS! It's the die hard fans with 3 different versions of the PSP making those numbers. They want the system to be what they dreamed: Portable gaming/entertainment on a sweet screen.

Sony, want those sales figures to be a bit more balanced? Fix the hardware... I don't want ghosting screens, draining UMD CRAP, (and I know you won't change it) proprietary memory interface. The PSP has come a long way with new features, but do a refresh of hardware, and stop expecting all your ported ps1 and ps2 games to make bank, cause chances are most your fans have already played, and beaten the game. Heck, if you want to start hammering the DS, make an online store like Steam and host downloadable content. If someone bought the original game (tales of eternia, which was for the ps1 AND ported to psp, for example) let them register it through the store via UPC or something and let them download it to their psp for free (or a discount to make the game $5). If that happened I would buy the updated hardware, and really use the system (aka give you moneyz).

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
um its only illegal if you are caught.

Taking $350,000,000,000 (billion) dollars which is supposed to help you lend (All the world banks) and then not lend at all, all at the expense of U.S. Citizens is a real problem.

Once this country is finally taken back into control by the U.S. Citizens, none of these problems will continue.... until then, everything every company says can STFU

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
[citation][nom]69camaroSS is a tard[/nom]@69camaroSSsteel·ing 1. To cover, plate, edge, or point with steel.I am not sure what this has to do with this story. [/citation]

Yes, very clever. Obviously you don't have the mental capacity to think past the spelling error. I guess that makes pirating OK then.

Status
Not open for further replies.