Sony Calls PSP Piracy "Sickening"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If sony would have just released all their psx games for psp to download and sold them for like 5$ each they would be rolling in sales but instead they decided to be jerks about it and made the ONLY option you have to play those games is hacking your firmware and ripping those discs. I bought a PSP bundle with like the case extra charger and everything just so that i could put FF7 on it. Thats the only game ive ever played on my psp and it was totally worth it and thats why their hardware sales are so much better than their stupid psp games.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
My 7-year old nephew has a PSP slim 3000 model he recieved for christmas. It will not even read a brand new umd. His dad sent back to sony and received an identical one with a different serial number and it does the same thing. The drive doesn't even try to run the disc, as soon as the lid is closed, instantly the error message pops up " unable to read UMD. He has 6 legally purchased games that are worthless, one of which I purchased for his birthday and he hasn't even got to play it yet. What other choice does he have but to hack it as soon as a hack is available for the 3001 models. If any of you know how hack the 3001 models let me know.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
One more thing. Years ago, I downloaded a pirated game for my SNES emulator called Harvest Moon. I thought it looked like a stupid game, but I got hooked. I never would have bought the other 3 Harvest Moon games for other systems (and the 1 for SNES) had I never downloaded it. If anyone makes an argument that the game makers are losing sales from piracy, you must also accept the argument that they are GAINING other sales from piracy.

That's just how the world works, so quit your bitching and start making GOOD GAMES and poeple will actually buy those GOOD GAMES.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
[citation][nom]69camaroSS is still a tard[/nom] Stop your pretentious, egotistical, narcissistic whining. You are coming off as jealous because you either can’t figure out how to pirate media or you are just afraid to and wet yourself if you ever try to download something.[/citation]

First off, I use to download plenty and was then convinced that it was not right. If I created something and wanted people to have it for free, I would make it free. If I worked for a company, then I would want my company to make lots of money on it. I would also want the distibutor to make lots of money. Why? Because they will want more games and provide me job security. It may also help my company stocks grow which may be tied to my bonuses, retirement plan etc. . .

Jealousy is actually when someone else has something you want and you become angry that you don't have it. It leads to infantile behavior like stealing. Pirating software is the symptom of jealousy. "It's not fair that they get to play it and not me." If I want to play a game, I rent it, and if it's worth anyhting, I save my money and buy it. That shows those big coporations that I want more games like that one, instead of convincing them that they don't need them.

With your philosophy a poor guy on the street could rob a wealthy man, and you would pat him on the back for being smart. It is not right any way you look at it. You've just become comfortable with acting badly.

As for why I'm on this forum: maybe it's because the bully pirates need to see the other opinion, so they can't just stereo type a growing segment of educated computer users as idiots just because they believe in doing the right thing.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
First off, I use to download plenty and was then convinced that it was not right. If I created something and wanted people to have it for free, I would make it free. If I worked for a company, then I would want my company to make lots of money on it. I would also want the distibutor to make lots of money. Why? Because they will want more games and provide me job security. It may also help my company stocks grow which may be tied to my bonuses, retirement plan etc. . .

Jealousy is actually when someone else has something you want and you become angry that you don't have it. It leads to infantile behavior like stealing. Pirating software is the symptom of jealousy. "It's not fair that they get to play it and not me." If I want to play a game, I rent it, and if it's worth anyhting, I save my money and buy it. That shows those big coporations that I want more games like that one, instead of convincing them that they don't need them.

With your philosophy a poor guy on the street could rob a wealthy man, and you would pat him on the back for being smart. It is not right any way you look at it. You've just become comfortable with acting badly.

As for why I'm on this forum: maybe it's because the bully pirates need to see the other opinion, so they can't just stereo type a growing segment of educated computer users as idiots just because they believe in doing the right thing.

whatever man and i bet you believe in an invisible god too LOL i love how people try to come off as totally honest and law abiding. nobody is.

/me sits back waiting for a response from the old fart pointing out any gramme or punctuation mistakes and nothing else

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
10-15 bucks on digital download and better games will solve it, well help. If they had the same game on the PSP to the DS, I'd take the games on PSP anyday.

G

@captaincharisma and butt pirate 69camaroSS

I'm not sure you can call misspelling the same word twice a mistake. I was merely stating a fact. 69camaroSS seems to think very highly of himself and above the meager peons of this world so I would have to believe that he could not possibly make such a stupid mistake as that. Since he is superior to all of us in all ways under the sun I had to take what he said as gospel and question why he would be speaking on steeling.

G

Issue is executives in charge of these corporations are not giving back to the company. The employees who slave for them do not bask in the billions that are made by their hard work. They no longer have health insurance or retirement plans. Most work is outsourced to countries that have no work standards and will work for pennies on the dollar. Standing in front of the world and blaming poor sales on pirating is as idiotic as you buying into it.

Of course no revenue being filtered back through research and development to produce a better game or handling of such software in a way that the consumer is begging for could ever be an issue to poor sales. I mean who are we to question if the executives need an extra million dollar bonus to place a down payment on a 3rd or 4th vacation home?

This is not about jealousy. This is about saying enough is enough. Corporations and our government (just another corporation itself) are full of bloat. So full that it starts to destroy itself from the inside. You want consumers to purchase your product then make a product that is worth purchasing. Show that you care more about your company and the consumers who support it than having to produce lies to cover your ass from overspending and lining your pockets.

Individuals who pirate software have no intentions of purchasing that software ever. And the main reason is because there is no return on spending the amount of money. If I look at a product and I do not agree with the price point I walk away. I look at the price of some of these games and then I walk away. There is no reason why a game should be anywhere in the $50+ range. Will I download it later if I want to play it? I sure will and when I am through with it a few days later I delete it because I discovered it was a piece of crap and I wasted my time even downloading it.

Why should I ever purchase software that ends up being a complete disappointment? By your belief if you purchase it they will make better and more affordable games. Not happening. So I have to say that your little theory is flawed. People are still purchasing. If they weren’t then the business would not even still be there. The people who pirate software openly admit that they will purchase software, if they enjoyed it and found value in it.

This not a Robin Hood mentality and trying to compare someone being robbed to this only shows your inability to form a coherent thought on your own. You regurgitate what you are told to believe like a good little boy and stick your fingers in your ears and scream if anyone believes differently.

This is my choice as a human being to say no to business practices that I do not agree with. If they want change then they should start listening to us measly peons seeing how it’s our dollar that makes the difference in this world.

Do not blame me because your CEO’s greed is running a company into the ground. Do you know what happens to the executive after he bankrupts a company? He is hired by another corporation and placed back into the same position doing the same thing. These are the people that you worship their opinions of right and wrong?

Pirate for life

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Maybe you pirating jackasses should spend less time gaming and more time getting an education so you can get a real job...

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]69camaroSS[/nom]Yes, very clever. Obviously you don't have the mental capacity to think past the spelling error. I guess that makes pirating OK then.[/citation]

It's awful hard to take any point you make on piracy seriously when you can't spell properly.

I think piracy will always exist and it probably is a reason to raise prices. However all these articles make pirating games sound easy when it isn't. We've come a long way from the days of nibble copy and clone cd. These days we're needing cracks, keys, firewall rules, copying content from disks, standing on our head while double clicking the exe file, etc. This has weeded out the casual pirates so I think that the companies need to switch from the rod to the carrot to get that last portion of pirates to pay for the product.

I also agree with the try before you buy point people are raising. What was wrong with demo's and shareware? Back when those were common we didn't have this problem of not knowing if a game was crap, because we knew what we were getting. These days we're lucky to get a demo at all and if we do it comes out 6 months after release when it'll make no impact on sales as the game has left the shelves by then.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
At all for and against this issue, please try to present your argument without a derogatory stance towards those who disagree with you. I'm not an admin, just someone who sees the value in debate.

Ultimately, piracy is a distorted issue due to the limited number of voices it receives in the media. The general concensus is that it is wrong and connected to a moral issue (ie stealing). When taking a deeper look at the issue, it becomes clear that 'copying' has different consequences than 'stealing' and the moral issue becomes more complex as it is not clear what the net outcome of 'copying' (or piracy as it is called today) is. You have one side expressing their disapproval by stating that it jeopardizes sales while the other states that it encourages sales by creating a wider exposure of the subject media. Those aren't the only 2 sides to the issue so this is NOT an exhaustive example but just a demonstration of how difficult it is to assess the issue as it is based largely on the projected potential sales of a product (2 very big variables).

At the end of the day, I believe the most prominent product of 'copying' is the exposure the subject media receives. Anyone who makes a claim on whether the exposure gained through 'copying' results in more or less sales of a product is drawing a premature conclusion based on assumptions that are largely unsubstantiated (ie. such as assuming that people who download the media in question would have paid $XX for it if they were presented with no other option).

It should be clear by now that what appears to be missing is a delivery channel for products that just doesn't exist today. The fact that over time millions of people have been downloading in exponential numbers and yet the entertainment industry continues to grow year-after-year without any shrinkage lends doubt to the notion that 'copying' is as detrimental as companies state it is. Imagine if there was no such thing as Over-the-Air (OTA) signals for TV and all TV channels had to be paid for (or even worse, every show) and a community grew whereby they used their own resources to provide free OTA to other users, this would then be condemned by the suppliers of the media by stating that its compromising their sales revenue. OTA exists today as a delivery channel that is free at no additional cost to the end user and its net positive result seem clear. The notion that an individual would pay for every show they've seen 'free' OTA seems silly as many would still only pay for something they truly desire to own.

This community of 'downloaders' (sharers) is clearly showing an interest in a new delivery channel that they (the community) is willing to support with their own resources (this is huge FYI). This should be a huge message to media suppliers to evolve their models in such a way that they profit without having to worry about the cost of distribution (as the community is willing to do it for them).

I'm still waiting for the day that the industry stops assessing the community's behaviour as a problem and identifies it as an opportunity.

henkten

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
1.) plenty of these games and other entertainment don't feel worth the money.

2.) Largely, they are too damn expensive for people outside the US, my contry's currency is $6=US$1, so a $30 game should cost $180, but no, it costs $500. There is simply no damn way I'm going to pay $500 for a game; especially when many games these days don't seem to give you much value for your money. Publishers like EA are not concerned with giving their customers value for money, only about raking in as much as possible by producing as many slapdash games in the shortest amount of time. If I was living in the US I would pay $30 for a game like Metal Gear Solid 4, but not for most of the slapdash greedy games that are produced, I would only pay for those if they sell them at honest prices.

The fact is that most games aren't priced honestly, and people don't like feeling they're getting ripped off, so the radical and informed people rebel. This is the same thing that's going on with the music industry too. Informed people's natural rebellion against perceived injustices being committed against, as has gone on in the ages past, continues present day in the form of piracy. Naturally most people have a bit of an independent attitude, that doesn't like being subjected to authority, some more than others,that's why people who pretend to be perfect law abiding citizens and without fault, are lying between their teeth, we all have to suppress the rebellious nature in us.

With internet piracy,both sides have to take a hard and honest look at themselves, to find the best solution for themselves, as the best solution can only be a mutual one, as both sides has their rights and wrongs, and both need one another to function. Both sides have to listen to each others' views and find common ground. Only then will the tide of internet piracy be stemmed, because where there's a will(potential pirates feeling unjustly treated or unable to or not encouraged in operating legitimately) there's a way.

Take care everyone.

silverfrog

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Here's what is bullshit: Excuses. Excuses are bullshit.

I wouldn't have paid for it anyways.
So, that entitles you to get shit for free? Hmm, geniuses?

Make games worth buying and I won't pirate.
So, you pirate bad games then, am I correct?

Games are too expensive.
See response #1.

I bought a PSP specifically to run other apps with.
Great, but be a good little hacker and don't steal games too. There's nothing wrong with running modified firmware. It's the illegal downloading I have a problem with.

I illegally download the game first.
And, if I like the game, I'm more likely to go out and buy it. And if you don't like it? You see my point. You stole a game.

G

@silverfrog the moron

You are an idiot as usual.

“So, that entitles you to get shit for free? Hmm, geniuses?”

1. I wouldn’t pay for it because the price is ridiculous and there is no recourse if your $60+ game is complete shit. I guess I could always go sell it to GameStop for $2.00 only for them to resale it as brand new. Bring back demos. The game companies took them away because consumers were allowed to see how big of a piece of steaming crap their product was before it was released to purchase. The current market they have in place allows them to release substandard games and receive a premium price for it.

“So, you pirate bad games then, am I correct?” – This comment shows how stupid you really are

2. How will I know if the game is bad or not if I am not allowed to play it first??? Refer to comment one. There are no demo capabilities in place anymore. We cannot ever see if a game is crap or not unless we purchase it. If it turns out to be a complete waste of time we are out the money we spent on it. I don’t pirate bad games on purpose to f’ing moron…but strange how many of them end up being complete waste of time. My downloading the game did not mysteriously change it from an excellent playing game into a worthless pig turd. IT WAS PRODUCED THAT WAY!!!!

“See response #1.”

3. You see response #1 you brain dead imbecile.

“Great, but be a good little hacker and don't steal games too. There's nothing wrong with running modified firmware. It's the illegal downloading I have a problem with.”

4. I have a problem with purchasing worthless software. Are you going to start buying back all the crappy software, at full price? As I have stated before…there is no recourse for a consumer when a company releases a terrible game or software. They received their money. Do you think that they care about customer satisfaction after the sale? Are they going to patch the game and change it into the best game ever coded and allow you to download it if you already spent money on their game?

“And, if I like the game, I'm more likely to go out and buy it. And if you don't like it? You see my point. You stole a game.” – the only point you make is proving how retarded you are

5. How do you know you like the game before you go purchase it? Do you have an inside source in all the gaming companies? Do you get the games before anyone else so you can try it out first? If I don’t like the game I am out nothing except a little time spent downloading and patching the game. You on the other hand are out your hard earned money for what? Another pretty coaster?

silverfrog

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The previous poster is full of excuses--the very ones I talked about.

I'll rebut his lame arguement now.

How do you know if you like ANYTHING before you buy it? How do you know if that MOVIE, FOOD, DEPARTMENT STORE CLOTHING, ECT is good? How did you know the underwear that you hopefully are wearing was good before you bought it? You didn't try it on, so how did you know. See my point? As with these examples, sometimes you need to do your research and ask other people what they thought about the game first. Don't be such a whiner and do your legwork. Read reviews. Look at internet pictures. Yes, demos are nice to have, but they cost money--money that has gone away in the last few months, so tough shit.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]silverfrog[/nom]The previous poster is full of excuses--the very ones I talked about.I'll rebut his lame arguement now. How do you know if you like ANYTHING before you buy it? How do you know if that MOVIE, FOOD, DEPARTMENT STORE CLOTHING, ECT is good? How did you know the underwear that you hopefully are wearing was good before you bought it? You didn't try it on, so how did you know. See my point? As with these examples, sometimes you need to do your research and ask other people what they thought about the game first. Don't be such a whiner and do your legwork. Read reviews. Look at internet pictures. Yes, demos are nice to have, but they cost money--money that has gone away in the last few months, so tough shit.[/citation]

If his argument qualifies as lame yours must be damn right idiotic.

Movies have those things called previews
clothing stores have those things called fitting rooms
underware well if you cannot afford $3 to chance it well you got bigger issues.

You sir need to get off your high ass horse. your im high and mighty self rightious idiot everything is black and white ass.

I grew up in the day of shareware demos freeware try it before you buy it.. o wait thats also today UNLESS your talking about video games. why is it a video game is te only thing you cant try anymore? because almost all of them suck ass anymore.. i have only baught games that are on version 4 or 5 of what i use to play then.. I rarely even buy games anymore hell i stopped wasting my time downloading them because they suck so bad now. But ill be damned if ill buy one i cant try first.

In your world we would never try anything before we buy it and it would be ok.. Imagine going to bestbuy and the walls are all bare with no electronics. the sales guy tries to sell you a tv but guess what your not allowed to try it see it or even look at anything but the picture on te box. and once you get it home you cant return it once its opened..

so im sorry silver im a self rightious ass plugging idiot. if thats ok with you i hope you enjoy the giant fist of corperate america analy violating you in ways that would be chargable by the minute in some homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.