Sony "Confident" PlayStation 4 to Arrive Before Xbox 720

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Goal posts were set 2 years ago and now they've just decided to beat the Xbox to market. Does this mean the PS4 is going to both rushed and outdated?

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Any chance they'll make the damn thing easier to code for, so multi-platform titles don't look like ass compared to the "weaker" console? I'd have to say that's a much larger sticking point for me over which comes out first.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
What BS about the Wii U. Take any two desktops or laptops from five years ago in the ($800) range. Now buy a desktop or laptop today for the same price. It is almost impossible to buy a weaker computer than what you had 5 years ago for the same price. In fact, you could probably still buy a stronger computer for $400 today than what cost $800 5 years ago.

there is so much BS about the Wii U, while I think the 720 and ps4 will be a bit stronger, the Wii U will be much stronger than the xbox 360 or ps3.

jlwitt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Here's my prediction for specs on the 720... Custom AMD A8 Vision at 28nm with 6 cores and 512 Radeon 7000 series cores onboard for "normal" graphics. Clock the CPU at 3.60GHz as tribute to XBox360; graphics core clocked to 720MHz. The "second" GPU will be AMD Radeon Dual Graphics on a Radeon HD 7850 adding an additional 1024 Radeon cores when you need the extra horsepower. The Kinect v2 will be bundled along with wireless controllers. You will also be able to use any tablet or phone as a controller or remote display. Remote display will allow full frame rate HD graphics on tablets or even phones. The base version will support dual displays with additional versions supporting up to four TVs for game parties. It will have a Blue-Ray drive and an internal 128GB SSD. You will also be able to connect external USB3 drives for additional storage. This will be even more important with the OS changes. I predict that the 720 will use a modified version of Windows 8 x64 Home Server. This will allow it to handle all media and backups for an entire household as part of a Homegroup. As a true home server, it can be integrated into home heating, AC, lights, even security systems. Game purchases will be tied to a Windows 8 App Market account and therefore a single purchase will allow play on up to five devices. The development cycle will be vastly simplified. Any PC game will be playable on the 720 as long as they pay the 30% to get into the App Store. It won't matter if you buy Angry Birds or Call of Duty 9, you will be able to play it on any Windows 8 device be it your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop or Xbox. Your frame rate and resolution may suck on your phone unless you use remote display. The total component cost will be ~$700 but the system will be sold for $499. Microsoft will make up the cost difference by not allowing anything besides Xbox DVD/Blue-ray and Windows 8 App Store programs and games.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]beans4you[/nom]Launch games will suck as usual I assume. Making a game in under a year is such a cash grab.[/citation]
Normally I would agree with you, but moving over to x86-64 means that they can design the game now, and then export with the appropriate sized textures to fit in the consoles limited Ram capabilities. This means there will not be the huge learning curve that there was moving to the Cell platform which I think turned a lot of developers off of Sony due to all of the growing pains.

If everyone is using dx11 then it also means that ports will feel much less port-like, and a lot less development costs of moving between programs :)

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]jlwitt[/nom]Here's my prediction for specs on the 720... [/citation]
lol, SSDs and high end GPUs.... lol, oh man I was in need of a good laugh!

skullywag

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I find it hard to believe ANYBODY would shell out any amount of money for a consol these days....HTPC's are very popular...will play your games at a helluva lot higher resolution than 720, will play blu-ray discs, don't REQUIRE an always on connection...you would have to be a fool to buy a PS4 or Xbox 720....my last HTPC I built cost a grand total of $500 and will romp and stomp all over an XBox or Playstation game-wise. I'd be a world class fool to pay good money to DOWNGRADE.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Middleman[/nom]Any chance they'll make the damn thing easier to code for, so multi-platform titles don't look like ass compared to the "weaker" console? I'd have to say that's a much larger sticking point for me over which comes out first.[/citation]
Well, supposedly Sony is using AMD for the CPU and GPU this time, so I guess it SHOULD be easier to code for. But then again, Sony never was one to make it easy on their developers, so I guess we'll see when they formally announce the specs. But I wont get one if they are set to bite the hands that feed them.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I feel like soon anything we buy wont be really ours. The idea of ownership is under attack by greedy corporations. It seems that everything we buy is just a licensee to use and not really to truly own. When game developers successfully implement their "no used game strategy," it no doubt will be a successful business model, other industries will then take notice of this business practice and follow suit. Just imagine buying a car and then years later you want to sell it, the person who bought the car wont be able to drive more than 10 miles because the car manufacture implemented a lock system which engages after it fails to detect original buyer presence. Unless the buyer of the used car wants full function he/she will have to pay the manufacture a huge fee to remove it. This is what I think may happen soon if shit like this is starting. Ownership is under attack.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]I know this was about Sony doing a flip flop on the next generation PS4 but what in the world is Microsoft thinking. I already hate the idea of having some PC games needing always on internet connection but my console I think not. I will be passing on any next generation console that requires a always on connection. Hopefully Sony will not follow suit with Microsofts always on internet idea or in typical Sony fashion something far worse.[/citation]
Nicely said.

If these consoles require an always on connection, when servers can go down as demonstrated mostly by Sony, making it so players can possibly not play their games if any kind of internet problem happens, then it is time to start a console rebellion and organize to get rid of them once and for all. YOU ARE BEING PUT ON NOTICE MS AND SONY!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Until the beef up the graphics capability, no DRM like the old consoles PS2/Xbox1 this gen console is unlikely to succeed. With multi port games these days, there is little reason to buy Console. I can play Assasins creed,crysis 2, Dragon age, and many other games in PC too, better graphics too, why need a console when it got soo much restriction compared to a PC?

jlwitt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]lol, SSDs and high end GPUs.... lol, oh man I was in need of a good laugh![/citation]

The 360 CPU was estimated to cost $106 at launch. The A8-3850 is only $124 now and it's not in bulk. The GPU for the 360 was $141 at launch. Look back just one generation prior and the Radeon HD 6850 is selling for $139, right now, not in bulk. Microsoft could easily get AMD to do an A8-3850 custom and a Radeon HD 7850 for $250 with guarantees for long term purchases. The original hard drive was $50; you can get 128GB SSDs for $100 now. In a year and a half, those components are easily within realistic range. Microsoft is looking at becoming like Apple after they saw how much the Apple App Store makes. They need a good system to draw you in. In a year and a half, this won't be as amazing as it looks now. Add up the parts costs, it's doable.

jasoncrussell

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I wish people would stop going on about how underpowered the next consoles are going to be against a decent PC. Unless people want to pay $1000 for a console it isn't going to have a top of the range graphics card, CPU, 16GB of memory etc.

Each has their own strengths. Consoles are great for having a few mates over to play a sports game or shot em up on the sofa in front of a big plasma screen. PCs are better if you want higher resolutions and better graphics. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. I must say though none of the next generation of consoles sound that exciting especially if the rumours about not being able to play 2nd hand games, an always on internet connection and graphics not even as powerful as the old XBOX 360 are true.

esrever

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
It would be sad if the wii u is weaker than the 360.

a 6450 costing $50 is more powerful than the 360...

jlwitt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I still don't get why everyone keeps saying the DRM and lack of second hand games is going to kill these systems. Can you sell your friend the game you bought on your iPhone from the App Store? What happens after you buy/install the game and you don't have a good signal? Does the game refuse to play? It's the same thing. MS already announced their App Market and how they are combining everything. XBox Live will be part of the App Market. All of your old games will play on the new system once you link the game to your account. The SSD and BIOS will be locked to only let Windows 8 run with the user unable to pick a different App market and locked to only install Apps from that market. The average iPhone user is expected to download 93 apps this year. Apple is expected to take in $2.3 Billion, yes with a B, off the App Store this year. I don't know about Sony, but MS has already announced their plans. They aren't stupid.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I can think of many situations where having to have an always on internet connection would be an issue for people. Some of it is lack of infrastructure and the rest is simply impossibility. I think MS will find its self shot in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.