Sony "Confident" PlayStation 4 to Arrive Before Xbox 720

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I am happy to go on the internet with a console, but i dont want to need to use the internet just to play. If I really want to use the internet, i use my pc. Console is all about quick and easy play, no messing around loading windows up or updating drivers or hardware to play games you want to
play.

G

No more proprietary API or hardware in consoles but, instead more common PC based hardware running a stripped down OS. Smells like a PC for simpletons. Sure you won't be able to pop in a PS4/XBoxNEXT disc into a PC but, porting should be far less complex.

On another note, who was it that said PC gaming was dead?

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Until we reach a point where hardware has no limitation to anything we can develop for it, we should always strive to make it better.

Having said that, I'm in no hurry to buy another console. The PS3 right now is still a good platform, I might change my mind in 2014.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Good job badmouthing Sony, oh objective ones!

Seriously, both companies sell roughlty 100 million games each, so where does that "lagging behind" thing come from?

(Oh, and it's interesting that number of sold consoles is also very close, Xbox was hacked from like day one, yet piracy didn't seem to have huge impact on game sales)

When putting "two PCs into it" I hope they'll think about how much power the thing would consume as well as noise.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Until the beef up the graphics capability, no DRM like the old consoles PS2/Xbox1 this gen console is unlikely to succeed. With multi port games these days, there is little reason to buy Console. I can play Assasins creed,crysis 2, Dragon age, and many other games in PC too, better graphics too, why need a console when it got soo much restriction compared to a PC?[/citation]
Because it takes 10-15 seconds for console to boot and you can again start it with a click on your wireless controller.

Because PC games do not yet utilize "move" (Sports Champions is a lot of fun) or kinect like controllers. (it simply doesn't fit to a table + PC + monitor place)

Because you can sit confortably in a couch in front of your 55" TV with a wireless controller which is so much more comfortable than monitor + keyboard + mouse. (yes, it limits what you can play, no seroius first person shooters or strategy, but racing, adventures, GoW like games)

If you try doing that with a PC, you'll discover that many PC games (Dragon Age for instance) have a lot of small text, which you can't comfortably read from a distance.

cathode

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
This is what I see Sony and MS see there are a lot of idiots( idiots in the sense of people with more $$ than sense) who would pay a high price for a console at maybe $500-$600 if not higher. Then we soon will see prices for games reaching the $80-$90 range, yet we will be stock with games that still play like the late 90's inovation is seriously lacking(very few games depart from that) a key point made by Nintendo who hasnt achieve sense the original gameboy and hasnt done it in a while. Mean while the pc community will be stock with DX11 for 5-10yrs if not more. People should stand up against this crap and demand to lower their price at least in the mid $200 and the games as well prehaps back at $49. The pc community should look for new game developers a hard task but not an impossible one.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]I know this was about Sony doing a flip flop on the next generation PS4 but what in the world is Microsoft thinking. I already hate the idea of having some PC games needing always on internet connection but my console I think not. I will be passing on any next generation console that requires a always on connection. Hopefully Sony will not follow suit with Microsofts always on internet idea or in typical Sony fashion something far worse.[/citation]

I don't see it as a big deal. It's plugged in to the wall, and I don't think about it again. It's already an "always on" connection...unless you only plug it in occasionally.

People track and publish every statement they make and step they take, then freak out because their game needs to connect to the internet?!? I'll publish photos from a binge weekend for the world to see then panic because M$ knows I logged into MW3...

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]I don't see it as a big deal. It's plugged in to the wall, and I don't think about it again. It's already an "always on" connection...unless you only plug it in occasionally.People track and publish every statement they make and step they take, then freak out because their game needs to connect to the internet?!? I'll publish photos from a binge weekend for the world to see then panic because M$ knows I logged into MW3...[/citation]
Ever thought about if you lose connection or can't afford a decent internet provider? You don't sound like the smartest knife in the drawer.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Because it takes 10-15 seconds for console to boot and you can again start it with a click on your wireless controller.Because PC games do not yet utilize "move" (Sports Champions is a lot of fun) or kinect like controllers. (it simply doesn't fit to a table + PC + monitor place)Because you can sit confortably in a couch in front of your 55" TV with a wireless controller which is so much more comfortable than monitor + keyboard + mouse. (yes, it limits what you can play, no seroius first person shooters or strategy, but racing, adventures, GoW like games)If you try doing that with a PC, you'll discover that many PC games (Dragon Age for instance) have a lot of small text, which you can't comfortably read from a distance.[/citation]

1: SSD drives can boot in that time.

2: I'll give you that.

3: Are you from 1995? You can connect a computer to a TV via HDMI and there are USB controllers out there, such as the Xbox 360 controller.

4: Problem solved by #3.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Some console haters on here.

I have a good PC, and a PS3, and the PS3 is a very useful device. It can play games, connect to my computer running PS3 media server to play music and movies, plays Hulu and Netflix content, and BluRays.

I don't understand the whole line drawn in the sand saying "I'm a PC gamer" or "I'm a Console gamer". I enjoy playing Skyrim and League of Legends on my PC, and I also enjoy playing games like God of War and Final Fantasy on my PS3.

From that perceptive, I'm pretty interested in what the PS4 and Xbox720 will be capable of. Just as much as I'd be interested in a new CPU or GPU on the PC side of things.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]Ever thought about if you lose connection or can't afford a decent internet provider? You don't sound like the smartest knife in the drawer.[/citation]

Heh...you do sharpie :)

You'll spend $80 for a game and can't afford $35 for a monthly internet connection. How about the cost of the console itself?

How often do you loose your internet...let me guess...when your power goes; thereby taking down your console as well?

No, not you! You have a bank of batteries and a generator the size of a school bus (short-one in your case) :)

Mind-bending to figure out how to program an acceptable internet drop interval to allow for 'blips' in your connection...

But you do illustrate the problem of an internet connection...they allow any "blunt" forehead, two finger touch typist to pollute...

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]Heh...you do sharpie You'll spend $80 for a game and can't afford $35 for a monthly internet connection. How about the cost of the console itself?How often do you loose your internet...let me guess...when your power goes; thereby taking down your console as well?No, not you! You have a bank of batteries and a generator the size of a school bus (short-one in your case) Mind-bending to figure out how to program an acceptable internet drop interval to allow for 'blips' in your connection...But you do illustrate the problem of an internet connection...they allow any "blunt" forehead, two finger touch typist to pollute...[/citation]

What happens if say Sony's network is attacked and goes down for over a month? Although that would never happen, right?

skullywag

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Who needs another piece of equipment to be spammed? Aren't cell-phones and PC's enough?
Who wants to deal with a bug in MS' system saying a game you BOUGHT is not a valid copy? (happens right now constantly with Windows copies). If you have satalite , do you want to wait for cloud/storm coverage to pass to play a stupid game? Anyone who thinks always-on is a good idea, or no big deal, is hopelessly ignorant. Big Brother IS NOT something anybody should be "OK" with.

Status
Not open for further replies.