Sony Confirms Massive Data Breach Affecting 70 Million PlayStation Network Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I have my doubts that Anon is capable of pulling something like this. Breaking into PSN is a lot different than a DDOS attack.[/citation] Its no harder...anyone with a few years of hacking under the belt could do this and ANON is suppose to be "legit". Grey hats prolly hack th network weekly.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jahmekan[/nom] As much as I have been pissed at Sony lately, this I would not have wished upon them. I hope they takes steps to protecting their users in the future.[/citation]

I couldn't care less about Sony itself. Like someone else said, You Reap What You Sow. Who I really feel bad about is all of those PSN account holders. This is horrible news for those people. I hope that they all make the needed changes (and soon) to their financial accounts so none of them get screwed by this.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I have my doubts that Anon is capable of pulling something like this. Breaking into PSN is a lot different than a DDOS attack.[/citation]
i guess we will never know, lol

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Additionally, Sony says that while there is no evidence that credit card data was taken, it can’t be ruled out, either.
the sound sony trying to pass the uck off onto the fbi and secret service to foot the bill for the investigation and prosecution and get out of of payin the bill ans an attempt to rile up public outrage against hackers for retaliation for sony suing geohot for cracking play station games.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Most of the information it seems they stole can be found online rather easily but the credit card situation bothers me. I will be putting a fraud alert on my card, and though I don't blame PSN I hope they understand how important securing personal information is when tons of customers switch over to the XBOX 360. It sucks because I was just about to get a new song for Rock Band 2. :(

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I don't think there is a problem, seeing as this is quite obviously a retribution act by the hacking community to damage Sony (which it certainly has). What does anonymous want with 70 million credit card numbers? They definitely don't want enough attention to warrant an investigation from the FBI, which they did, and are likely smart enough to not have actually moved that data out of Sony's servers and into their own hands. If not their screwed.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]May I ask something? What did geohot stolen?Also there's no link that it was the Anonymous group that hacked PSN. It's probable it wasn't them because they most likely lack the expertise to execute a job of this dimension. Hacking PSN is a lot different than a DDOS attack.Anyone can do a DOS attack, all you need to do is download LOIC and press a button to start the attack. Add more people to the mix doing the same thing in coordination and you have a DDOS attack.[/citation]
geohot cracked the algorithm that sony used to create the points used to buy games and content over the PSN. He then published the algorithm on a blog or something. Then he, and others, used the code to amass these points.

You may think, wait these are worthless digital points. They aren't. These points have an associated monetary value (so if a game costs 500 points over the PSN, and costs $50 in stores, then each point is valued at $0.10) and by having an algorithm to give yourself more points, you are essentially stealing from that company. It's sort of like downloading a pirated game, except it's more like printing counterfeit money.

And back to the question of anonymous. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. If these people actually call themselves hackers, they likely would have more tricks up their sleves than DDoS attacks, It probably took a while for them to crack into the PSN, which would explain why it took so long. If it wasn't, then it sounds like it's someone who has the same sort of values as these people.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Suddenly the red ring of death or lack of HD on the other consoles doesn't seem like such a problem anymore.

Personally, I wouldn't be as concerned over credit card losses as those can usually be contested and recovered. My concern would be for the people that like to use the same user/pass (or slightly modified versions) for multiple services, that could cause some serious headaches for folks.

Also, I doubt anon had anything to do with this (that's not to say people involved might be 'members'). This just doesn't fit their ideology. They tend to be more anti-giant corporation and against large corporations using their money to manipulate the gov't/system to get their way lately (e.g. war on Koch).

G

@Zingam

you might want to leave the 70s behind, Sony is a bona fide Mega Corp now, it's not Japanese nor American nor any other race or religion, it's an entity who's soul purpose is to make obscene amounts of money. If your really hating on the Japanese it make a hell lot more sense to hack the big three Heavy Industries (KHI, MHI, FHI), they are the basic engine of Japan, bring those down and Japan will be hurting real bad.

G

@bejabbers

dude if you dont know then stop making BS up, he did not crack the system used to generate the points, he cracked the PS3 security system and gained the root code to allow execution of unsigned codes on a PS3, it not even in the same ball park.....

next up you be telling us Geohot hacked the pentagon and caused WW3

dekyos

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]geohot cracked the algorithm that sony used to create the points used to buy games and content over the PSN. He then published the algorithm on a blog or something. Then he, and others, used the code to amass these points.You may think, wait these are worthless digital points. They aren't. These points have an associated monetary value (so if a game costs 500 points over the PSN, and costs $50 in stores, then each point is valued at $0.10) and by having an algorithm to give yourself more points, you are essentially stealing from that company. It's sort of like downloading a pirated game, except it's more like printing counterfeit money.And back to the question of anonymous. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. If these people actually call themselves hackers, they likely would have more tricks up their sleves than DDoS attacks, It probably took a while for them to crack into the PSN, which would explain why it took so long. If it wasn't, then it sounds like it's someone who has the same sort of values as these people.[/citation]

Actually, Geohot published data on how to make a homebrew game playable on the PS3, which could coincidentally also be used to play pirated copies of PS3 retail games as well. He did nothing in the ways of stealing PSN points. Check your facts before you accuse someone of being criminal (which by the way, had he done anything criminal he would have been prosecuted in criminal court instead of sued in civil court). And the whole reason Sony never pushed from a criminal trial is because they knew when they lost (which they most assuredly would have) they would be barred from any future litigation in a similar case.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The questions you should be asking yourselves:

Why would my password be compromised when generally speaking all secure sites hash that information?

If credit card info may have been taken, then that means it was probably not encrypted... and I hope to god sony isn't that dumb, because that really would truly be an incredible level of stupidity that very few have ever achieved.

Furthermore, it wasn't just about geohot. People were using their PS3 to play ps2 games and had been doing it for years, but Sony wanted to make more money.

Sony has installed rootkits onto discs and your PS3's.
they've told you how you can play with your hardware and just what you can and can't do AFTER you've paid for it.
Now they got hacked 6 days ago (and they're supposedly pointing their finger at a single person and not anonymous) and failed to acknowledge anything or let their customers know for an entire 6 days.

I believe I've found myself a new paperweight.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Down boy down... at this point in time i havent heard anyone using this information for evil purposes, it could be a case where hackers were just showing off how flawed the PSN was... if they use the information for evil, I can understand you point, but then again... Sony had a duty to protect this information, they profit from having it and have enough financial resources to take the proper precautions[/citation]

This doesn´t make sense. Is like saying it´s OK to shot an police officer just to show a flaw you found on his body armor.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]This doesn´t make sense. Is like saying it´s OK to shot an police officer just to show a flaw you found on his body armor.[/citation]FAIL...Do they have certified cop shooters. Ever heard of a white hat?

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I changed all my passwords when my SOE profile was hacked..
Sony may be the biggest DRM producer, but they suck at security. Maybe put SecureROM on their user's credit card files so you can only download them three times?

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Wow 37 comments and only 1 actually blammed the hackers. You guys are like yeah "STICK TO THE MAN."

But what exactly does the suffering of SONY do to help you? Yeah lets have sony and microsoft burn to ground and lets have Nintendo go away too, that will show them! Oh wait.. that only hurts the consumer. And if you are saying "Well I dont have a PS3 so sony doesn't effect me" than your dead wrong. Chances are you have watched a movie or will watch a movie (Thor) that woudln't have been possible without sony. Chances are most of the disc you have used to burn data are from sony. I can go on and on but why bother.

I'm not saying that you have to love company, but this desire to see companies go down because "They make alot of money" or "they went after my beloved Geohot" is borderline masochistic. In the end, you will be hurt the most.

---------------------------

The funny thing is, the same people laughing at Sony for getting hacked are the people who, when they get a virus, are like "Damn you hackers! Do you have anything better to do with your lives than to make peoople suffer???"

Ah tom's hardware members... you guys amuse me with your nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.