Sony Confirms Massive Data Breach Affecting 70 Million PlayStation Network Users

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Because no one would ever make new media formats or produce movies without Sony, right?You ask what good Sony being hurt does to the consumer. I can answer that. Sony being hurt reminds them that they are not as omnipotent as most CEOs these days seem to think they are these days. Large corporations like this have no concern for the consumer, you are just a dollar sign to them. The people in charge have no clue what you as a consumer want, they only listen to statistics and focus groups. Sony is receiving so little pity over this because of the way they've treated the customer over the past several years. The PS3 has had advertised features removed, and a general attitude that they own the hardware we have paid for. I'm all for competition remaining to prevent monopoly situations, but if Sony's game division sunk, I wouldn't be so disappointed. Maybe they'll learn a lesson, or maybe someone would take their place. Either way, large corporations failing brings a space for new competition to rise, who would likely be more willing to please the consumer.
citation]

The biggest flaw in your post is that you equating hacking an opposing company, to legit business practices preformed in a captilistic society. If sony had lost or shares due to business practices, I wouldn't even be posting here.

All that you said in your post was true, but the fact that you completely glossed over the crux of the issue is somewhat disheartening. There are alot of business I dont care for, but I would much rather see them done away with in the marketplace, not destroyed by criminals.

[citation][nom]Stoogie[/nom]who cares for the loss of your private information, Facebook gives it out for free. As for the credit card details, good if they use your card then u can trace them, and they will expose themselves. so i doubt very much that they will use ur money[/citation]

There are so many faults with your logic.... you know what, why dont you just give all of us your credit card information and I want to see how well and how fast you can expose.

You think people who can break into PSN and shut it down don't knowhow to use identity theft properly... You should be very careful on the internet Stoogie, you seem the kind of person who will get taken advantage very easily :(

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]This is stupid. I hope that these hackers get tracked down and thrown in jail for the rest of their natural lives. It's one thing to go at the company because of some issue it has with the way it dealt with geohot (which, in itself, is stupid since he was a criminal and stole), but to compromise the personal information of everyone on the PSN, that goes way beyond company attacks and enters the realm of personal attacks of those who use the PSN and identity theft. I don't use the PSN, I'm a PC gamer all the way, but I think that if I ever met one of these basement dwelling "anonymous" idiots, I'd give them a piece of my mind and my boot in their face.[/citation]

Anonymous has already come out and denied involvement in this, and you sure are doing a knee jerk reaction for someone not even involved in PSN, like the other guy said "down boy"!
Meanwhile, what geohot did was wrong from a legalty standpoint, but right in the eyes of people who felt cheated by Sony for all the features that got de-activated. Im no fan of Sony or their methods, but if you people would bother to RTFM you would see that they alert you to the fact that they are allowed by the agreement to CHANGE WHATEVER TF THEY WANT!!

Summary.....grow up!

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggraves :[/nom]

Because no one would ever make new media formats or produce movies without Sony, right?You ask what good Sony being hurt does to the consumer. I can answer that. Sony being hurt reminds them that they are not as omnipotent as most CEOs these days seem to think they are these days. Large corporations like this have no concern for the consumer, you are just a dollar sign to them. The people in charge have no clue what you as a consumer want, they only listen to statistics and focus groups. Sony is receiving so little pity over this because of the way they've treated the customer over the past several years. The PS3 has had advertised features removed, and a general attitude that they own the hardware we have paid for. I'm all for competition remaining to prevent monopoly situations, but if Sony's game division sunk, I wouldn't be so disappointed. Maybe they'll learn a lesson, or maybe someone would take their place. Either way, large corporations failing brings a space for new competition to rise, who would likely be more willing to please the consumer.
[/citation]

The biggest flaw in your post is that you equating hacking an opposing company, to legit business practices preformed in a captilistic society. If sony had lost or shares due to business practices, I wouldn't even be posting here.

All that you said in your post was true, but the fact that you completely glossed over the crux of the issue is somewhat disheartening. There are alot of business I dont care for, but I would much rather see them done away with in the marketplace, not destroyed by criminals.

[citation][nom]Stoogie[/nom]who cares for the loss of your private information, Facebook gives it out for free. As for the credit card details, good if they use your card then u can trace them, and they will expose themselves. so i doubt very much that they will use ur money
[/citation]

There are so many faults with your logic.... you know what, why dont you just give all of us your credit card information and I want to see how well and how fast you can expose.

You think people who can break into PSN and shut it down don't knowhow to use identity theft properly... You should be very careful on the internet Stoogie, you seem the kind of person who will get taken advantage very easily

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I seriously hate the lack of edit function.. :(

And Deadstick50, dead on, great post.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
".. And Deadstick50, dead on, great post."
Thank you wavebossa, a little reality check for some people is just about as good as a swift kick in the nads!
Dont get me wrong, if peoples CC info is compromised thats a bad thing, but all the crying about Sonys actions and geohotz response is pointless

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]servarus[/nom]+1LOL IMHO, the ones that are supporting Geohot are either:1. Want Linux (for what? Don't you have a PC? Linux can run what? Browser?)2. Want homebrew (seriously, inferior homebrew on PS3? What's the point?)3. Want to play pirated games (The biggest problem.)The ones supporting or don't care buy the games. kthxbye.[/citation]
1. People install linux on the PS3 because for playing media is a lot better than the PS3 software. Also since most PS3s are connect to a TV that is larger than most PC monitors makes it installing linux on the PS3 even more sense. Also if it was a unwanted feature why did Sony released it in the first place.
2. Don't people with smart phones buy games and software that are worse than homebrew. Even a few PS3 minis suffer from this same problem.
3. I know that many people want to unlock their PS3 to play pirated games, but not everyone do this.

G

@servarus

and i guess in the same vein if your part of the anti traffic cameras then you must regularly run over pedestrian......

@Deadstick50

he was so legally wrong that Sony successfully prosecuted and found him guilty in a court of law.....

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]FunnyLogic[/nom]@servarusand i guess in the same vein if your part of the anti traffic cameras then you must regularly run over pedestrian......@Deadstick50 he was so legally wrong that Sony successfully prosecuted and found him guilty in a court of law.....[/citation]
sony didn't find him guilty in a court of law, in fact it was settled out of court. don't spew false statements. Furthermore, sony also demanded that they see the IP's of people who went to geohotz's site as well as the youtube page and videos regarding the hacks. So if Sony had their way you could potentially have been sued for curiosity, or at least had your PSN account banned. there's good reason why so many people are blaming sony. it's not as if the recent intrusion is the start of a war against its customers, the fact is that they've been treating PSN users like crap for years. Rootkits, demanding IP's, taking away hardware capabilities (that had nothing to do with piracy at all) and now they've left your private info to be stolen by hackers.

[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]again, why wasn't any of this personal information encrypted?[/citation]

The passwords weren't hashed. certainly not all of them; that's quite clear. But the CC info is "probably" safe. Whether that means it's encrypted and the key may have been stolen or whether not all of the info was encrypted, who knows. What they haven't stated is whether it was encrypted at all.

G

@pelov

there was thick oozing layer of sarcasm there aimed at Deadsticks50's assertion that GeoHotz was legally wrong

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]FunnyLogic[/nom]@servarusand i guess in the same vein if your part of the anti traffic cameras then you must regularly run over pedestrian......@Deadstick50 he was so legally wrong that Sony successfully prosecuted and found him guilty in a court of law.....[/citation]
The court never deemed Geohot guilty or otherwise because the case was settled between the two parties out of court.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]FunnyLogic2[/nom]@pelov there was thick oozing layer of sarcasm there aimed at Deadsticks50's assertion that GeoHotz was legally wrong[/citation]
Sarcasm...thanks, I love sarcasm!! ;) Its a great tool, did you even realize thats what my first post was about??

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]This doesn´t make sense. Is like saying it´s OK to shot an police officer just to show a flaw you found on his body armor.[/citation]
This is the most hopelessly naive comparison I've ever seen. Explain to me where, in any network penetration exercise, someone has DIED from a bullet wound?

Tearing a network apart is something that can be used to effect change, whether in forcing the company responsible for the network to invest in further protection or in driving customers away from the network. Running around shooting people to showcase flaws in body armor is not even remotely comparable. Please pull your head out of your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.