Sony Details ''Welcome Back'' Gift for PSN Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hey does anyone actually know when it is going to be back i heard tommorow may 3rd someone plz reply.'.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tttlol[/nom]what if the ps3 that your account was on got deleted off of it and is now permanitily used on a different ps3?[/citation]
"...or through validated email confirmation."
Looks like there is an e-mail option.

G

@razorblaze42

so your telling me you have no problems that Sony leaves your sensitive information unsecured. I think you be rather displeased with your bank if they left all your money in a padlocked box in the middle of your local branch and then a group of thieves ran off with it, if your money was in a time locked vault then it wouldn't make an ounce of difference if the thieves broke into the bank of not, same way if the information was secured then it would make no difference if the hackers broke into the PSN or not

so what your telling me is that the group of hackers went and hacked the PSN, playstation.com SOE and a few other servers using different exploits, rather than the fact that all the servers were vulnerable to a single exploit, would suggest Sony has an awful lot of security flaws in their system or one big flaw, either way it's not a good thing, hate the criminals but you have to be realistic and ask why it was so easy to compromise a good deal of Sony's 'Security' systems

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
God, do you people ever stop complaining? Almost everyone that used PSN didn't pay a dime for it. Why do you think they owe you something? The money you used to buy the PS3 does not guarantee access to the PSN, so you have no case.

They're giving you free stuff even though you've lost absolutely nothing.

Stop bitching.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
blah blah blah blah, if the right infrastructure was in place, the hacking would have been just a blip on the radar and the network would have stayed up, with a server/client patch incorporated a week or two later....

In other words, Sony asked for a breakin to their network.....

G

Sony has stated in the past that they do not charge for the Playstation network because the cost of PS3 games includes the price to play them online. Therefore, anyone who has ever purchased a PS3 game (If you own a PS2 I would hope you have purchased at least one game) then you have paid for this service.

If anyone thinks they do not pay for this service and Sony just keeps the network up on their own pocket is ignorant.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
All this about Sony not doing enough is really driving me up the wall. So lets get something straight.
Sony created a VERY Secure system. But no system is impenetrable. Hackers will find a way into ANY system they need to and it is impossible to totally secure against every possible attack.

As for the goodwill gesture not being enough. Do Microsoft give freebies away when a virus is written for windows systems? Do Symantec give away free Anti-Virus when they fail to find a virus the second it is made? No, they don't.

I'm unaware of any actual losses due to any data being stolen. Yes its a nuisance with PSN being down. I am yet to play Portal 2 co-op. But get a grip. Sony have handled the situation very well and have shown a considerable commitment to ensuring the security and integrity of PlayStation Network in the future. This shows commitment to both the PSN service and the Playstation brand that us owners should see as a sign of confidence in our product.

77 million users, 4 Years and 5 Months Online. ONE period of sustained downtime lasting more than 1 week.
Pretty Good. I think. Certainly on a par with competitors and other similar services.

zak876

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
this is going to cost sony millions/billions, because of their arrogance, oh well......and i dont think this is over either.....the saga continues......

G

Even if we do not lose anything PSN had us accept an agreement which warranties security of personal information, if you read the agreement you would know. In other words Sony should compensate us for breaking the agreement... And for taking Black Ops away from me!
Lol!

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]You get the best gift of all. Hackers don't have all your credit card info.[/citation]

hahahaha touche`

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]Sony have handled the situation very well and have shown a considerable commitment to ensuring the security and integrity of PlayStation Network in the future.[/citation]
No thy haven't handle it well, they've still didn't confirmed if the cc information was taken or not. They only gave a cryptic response.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]God, do you people ever stop complaining? Almost everyone that used PSN didn't pay a dime for it. Why do you think they owe you something? The money you used to buy the PS3 does not guarantee access to the PSN, so you have no case.They're giving you free stuff even though you've lost absolutely nothing.Stop bitching.[/citation]

Yes. It did/does. My launch-60 version was sold that way as a feature.
You have your facts wrong.

"giving you free stuff" - I have had to pay for everything I got from them.
Hell, a couple of the downloads that I have paid for no longer have the red icon attached to make it easy to download them again. I paid for that, and they want to re-sell it it me. The only way back in is through the download history.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]God, do you people ever stop complaining? Almost everyone that used PSN didn't pay a dime for it. Why do you think they owe you something? The money you used to buy the PS3 does not guarantee access to the PSN, so you have no case.They're giving you free stuff even though you've lost absolutely nothing.Stop bitching.[/citation]Wow you're a hardcore Sony shill through and THROUGH, boy. They lost nothing? They had all their account/personal info stolen, in some cases potentially including credit card info.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]No thy haven't handle it well, they've still didn't confirmed if the cc information was taken or not. They only gave a cryptic response.[/citation]

Cryptic if you can't read.

"it is possible that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained."

There are two bits of key information here. The first is the fact that the security code is confirmed to have NOT been obtained by any hackers, making the CC information they have obtained significantly less useful.

The second is that Sony are unable to determine weather the hackers have access to the CC information associated with the accounts or not. We can only speculate as to why they are unsure but I have a possible explanation.
The database that the CC data is stored in is encrypted. This encrypted table was downloaded by the hackers, however it is impossible to determine whether the hackers have the capability to decrypt the data.

I'm struggling to see what Sony could do more. They have acknowledged that an intrusion took place. Took necessary precautionary measures to limit the damage (They took the entire PSN offline as soon as they found evidence of the intrusion). Sony have also released information pertaining to any stolen information as soon as they had verified what was stolen to the best of their and the expert digital security analysts ability.
At no point have they denied information has been stolen. At no point have they denied CC information has been leaked. This means if someone has suffered financial losses it should be easy for the Bank or Financial Agencies involved to trace the source of the fraud and to protect the afflicted persons and refund them. However there have been no reports of any fraud being directly related to the PSN intrusion as of yet.

What exactly is it you want Sony to do?

G

@Vampyrbyte

"Sony created a VERY Secure system"

so secure i fact that once PSN was compromised they felt the need to take down the rest of their online networks too, thats not secure that called hiding behind a big metal door and thinking no one can get through it, sooner or later someone is going to get through that big metal door, as demonstrated

now if they had instead not pissed off the hacker community they would have got some nice advice on how to set up a 'layered' security setup whereby a breach of the big metal door doesn't bring the entire network to it's knees

"I'm unaware of any actual losses due to any data being stolen"

i have a friend who was a victim of a burglary, they stole alot of paper work too, enough to do some ID theft, to this day 5 years later he still have problems with ID theft, it's a can of worms that once opened is very hard to stop, his credit score is ruined and has to deal with the hassle of resolving new incidents when they happen, he has lost nothing financially from it, but i can tell you the kind of hassle ID theft brings he would more then happily lose 1k then have to deal with all that hassle

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
what exactly does the PSN "+" do for me? what do i get from the plus version of the network? some more demos? wow...that's epic. [/sarcasm]
seriously, how about a free full minigame. That Sega genesis compilation pack looks like fun...

G

Am I the only one who sees the benefits?
With the PSN down, I now have time for living!
I'm sure we could all fill in a week or two..... or three lol

Status
Not open for further replies.